Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isaac Lake (Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit), Sept 6  (Read 5157 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Isaac Lake (Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit), Sept 6
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »

Myself and two other buddies canoed the Bowron Lake canoe circuit from Sept 4-9.

On the (long) drive up, one buddy asked us what we wanted to accomplish during the trip, and top of the list for all three of us was catching a lake trout!

Isaac Lake is the best (and I think the only) lake in the chain for lake trout fishing, and it's a big lake, so we trolled for 2 of the 3 days that we spent traversing its length.

Day 2 on the lake produced only small rainbow and kokanee but on day 3 we got dialed in and we all got our lake trout. :) Glen got 2, and Pat and I each got one.  Fish were up to 7-8 pounds and were beautifully spotted char, quite unlike the salmonids and trout that we normally catch. 

Nothing subtle about the terminal tackle... 3 oz of lead, a willow leaf and an Apex. I have no idea how deep we were fishing as it was all by guess and by golly, but we were waaaaay down there.

Issac Lake has a slot limit of 30-50 cm for trout/char and all of our fish, except Pat's, exceeded that so Pat's fish wound up in fish tacos that night.  Approx 2 hours from cold clear water to frypan. It was delicious!

That's the Apex above the eye

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:22:03 PM by clarki »

Robert_G

Re: Isaac Lake (Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit), Sept 6
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »

That type of trip requires more pictures and more story.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Isaac Lake (Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit), Sept 6
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:12 PM »

:D

Of which I have lots, but a little out of scope for a fishing report...

If you are interested in knowing more about the circuit, feel free to PM or email me.