Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visit to A&N Fishin' Boutique  (Read 6448 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Visit to A&N Fishin' Boutique
« on: February 21, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

The posts here for Staff and the new determination of the Manager to promote A&N got me curious.
So I headed down to the Downtown East Side for a peek.
Kind of bad timing as they are in the process of moving the Dept from one side of the basement to the other.
Lots and lots of new stock decent prices a very solid selection.
Surprised to see George-a guy who worked there years ago-stocking shelves I was sure he'd retired years ago.
Same stand offish attitude from Gary the Manager he just isn't a fisherman at all and no one else on the floor had any idea.
So they have a long way to go yet to bring back the good old days unless they find a bunch of friendly informative people to serve customers very few will brave the terrors-real or imagined-of the Downtown East side to shop there.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:40:54 PM by Sam Salmon »

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
Re: Visit to A&N Fishin' Boutique
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »

Hey Sam,

I work in the downtown store there, was my day off though, glad you could stop by and check out the shop, sorry bout the mess.

Usually there will be at least one fishing specific staffmember on hand, more as the season picks up. We like to keep a low pressure, 'take your time' atmosphere, and we'll try to answer any questions to the best of our ability. It is true that the general staff don't really know anything about the fishing gear, but if you ask for one of the fishing staff, there will usually be someone on hand that 'has a clue'.  ;D

There are some big plans afoot for this season, along with the new layout will come an expanded gear selection, more fly fishing, line winder/bulk lines, and some secret A+N surprises.

Please feel free to stop by again and we'll talk some fishin'!

Look for me, I am the tall thin white dude with the flat-top.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:36:12 PM »

Good to hear from you Jack!
I'm old enough to remember when A&N was the place to buy gear let's hope it all works out well!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:58 PM »

The fishing department at the A&N boutique has gone waaaaaaaaaay downhill over the past few years.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:54:56 PM »

George did retire a couple of years ago but got called back, so he went back. 
President Club S. C. & P.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:42:44 PM »

The fishing department at the A&N boutique has gone waaaaaaaaaay downhill over the past few years.
It's more accurate to say it had gone downhill-lots of details now being looked after/smart buying and as I said decent selection-check it out for yourself.
Well worth wile IMO.

Also I didn't mean to imply that George has no clue-he's a friendly informative and all round nice guy but he was just going on a break as I warmed up to the place.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 11:07:25 AM »

Where is the A&N in Van?
I know where the one in New West is, and I really like wandering thru there.
Lots of neat stuff, and really reasonable prices.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

Where is the A&N in Van?

36 west Cordova, Mitch ;)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »

Where is the A&N in Van?

36 west Cordova, Mitch ;)

Thanx. I used google maps ;) about the same time as you posted this :) Google Map Directions to A&N

fishfinder

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 12:37:40 PM »

George is a super nice guy. I was told he retired several years ago but he came back. I guess Gary needed him back.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 04:39:45 PM »

a finer gentleman would be hard to meet. Use to fish the Cheakamus back in the mid 1970's with George. A master dew worm fisherman in his time. He would fish  3 #6 mustad kirby hooks, split shot tapered leaders, good with the gaff also when a good looking "keeper" was coming near the beach. The "good ol' days".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »

Is George the Japanese gentleman ?

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »

Yes

fishinfrenzy

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 10:36:05 PM »

Sam,

I can tell you with the utmost confidence that Gary at the Vancouver store does not have a bad attitude. He is working tirelessly to get the fishing department to the next level. Please be careful not to discredit the work being done within Army and Navy. There are a growing group of people who have and continue to focus on nothing more than making our stores exactly what you  need and expect.  And if someone gave you less than exceptional service you can communicate this frustration with me, and it will be resolved.Please offer your suggestions.. We are restructuring our fishing department to better suit your needs. Please phone me or pm me with any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

Joe

fishinfrenzy

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »

Thanks to everyone that has offered a positive comment about Army and Navy. We are proudly Canadian owned and operated.The founder, Sam Cohen was a passionate fisherman and an intelligent businessman who was genuinely thankful for his customers,and so are we.

Joe