Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: converting to dvd  (Read 7191 times)

Reservoir Dog

Re: converting to dvd
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 12:14:16 AM »

I have a camcorder and want to load them to my computer.What cord do i need and where can i get one.Its a sony handycam and takes the small cassette type tapes......wanna make them on dvd disks.Thanks.

What is the model number of your handycam?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 07:33:14 AM »

dont forget to keep original tape. burned dvd or cd wouldnt last long. i lost my homemade **rn files in 5 years eventhough i used best quality blank media.

Our rule of thumb with Data on DVD/tape is to reburn new copies every 3 years and to make 3 copies.

B.

funpig

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

Last year, I converted all of my 8mm camcorder tapes to DVD.

I did some research on the internet an opted for ADSTech DVD Xpress.  It rated higher than Pinnacle or Dazzle for successful burns.  You can buy DVD Xpress at Costco for about $80.

It is a time-consuming process.  Make sure you switch off all other programs on your computer, especially anti-virus software and screen saver during the video capture process.  If there are any breaks in the video (eg. gaps with video "snow") the video capture may stop.  You just have to start the video capture after the gap.  You can use software to splice the video together and to do edits.  After that you can burn it on the DVD.

Another idea may be to buy a DVD recorder.  It may cost a little more for the machine, but I have heard it is a bit easier to convert and you can always use the machine as a DVD player.

norm_2

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »

I was not expecting to read that DVD data evaporates.  Did I read it correctly?  Why is this?  I thought the digital format would last forever.  Then an even more important questions is what medium stores the longest???

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 11:01:16 PM »

I was not expecting to read that DVD data evaporates.  Did I read it correctly?  Why is this?  I thought the digital format would last forever.  Then an even more important questions is what medium stores the longest???

DVD's have a shelf life like all media, generally it's life is about 75 years. IF properly stored, keep dvd's away from direct sunlight, and keep the disks scratch free. Also plastic cases aren't always the best storage. I store all my disks in a "DiscGear" http://www.discgear.ca/ which are indestructable, and keep your disks dust, scratch and UV free.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57995
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 11:10:32 PM by Reservoir Dog »

druid

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »

I got myself one of those DVD player/recorder from Best Buy in the Seattle for $83.  I saved myself a lot of configuring the computer to convert my VHS/camcorder home movies to standard DVD.  My Video tape player is now obsolete, I guess.

After much hair-pulling and figuring, that's the solution we came to as well. We used Firewire to get the digital video directly without converting to Analog. To do this, we needed a higher-end DVD player/recorder. Got a Sony for $350 CDN. Works great - just plug in the camcorder, pop in a blank DVD and press REC. :D

And yeah, it records TV, or your old VHS tapes (through a tape player) as well. AND you can do some fairly decent editing (like titles, chopping the video into chapters, moving them around...Can't put your head on Swarsenegger's body, though ;) )

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »

stryker 07 ,
I just use standard cables on composite port (S-Video / A/V input/output) on my DVD Camcorder.  I didn't have to buy any special cable. 

My DVD Camcorder also have a LANC jack and a cable for it.  I have no idea on what to use that for ???
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor