Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NFR- car issue  (Read 5623 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
NFR- car issue
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »

Hi guys

Hope you guys can diagnose a car problem I am having.

I have a Dodge Dakota that will start if I hook up a cable from another car to it. I can then unhook the cable and drive it around. But once I turn off the ignition, I cannot start the car anymore.

I am no car repairman so what do you guys think it is?

Battery, Alternator or Starter?

Thanks guys.

Ambassador

Re: NFR- car issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »

My guess would be your starter. If it was your alternator your truck would die after driving for a bit as that is what keeps your battery juiced up.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »

Hey CohoMan.  If you can jump start and drive around, it means your alternator is ok, since while you are driving around ,all the current is supplied by the alternator, once you stop it cannot start by its own. That is your battery cannot holding charge, so more likely is your battery. Good luck.

p.s.  Make sure all the connection are clean and tight.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »

thanks.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »

Hey CohoMan.  If you can jump start and drive around, it means your alternator is ok, since while you are driving around ,all the current is supplied by the alternator, once you stop it cannot start by its own. That is your battery cannot holding charge, so more likely is your battery. Good luck.

x2    best case bad/corroded connection....otherwise battery is done
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

dave c

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »

x2    best case bad/corroded connection....otherwise battery is done
x3 check battery connection(clean and tight) altenator is fine battery probably toast.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »

If your hearing a "click" when you turn the key that means your starter is trying but there is no juice from the battery. There is a chance your starter may also be done. If you have a battery tester you can check it or take it into Canadian Tire and have them test it, if its fine then its your starter. if not there is a chance you might have to do both if it wont turnover with a new battery

starters and alternators can be fixed usually a couple times before needing to be completely replaced. In my old Dakota I had both re-brushed once each over the time I owned it. This is a lot cheaper than a new but call around for prices, ran me only $60 each time which was an hours work  ;)

battery on my Ram died a couple weeks back. It clicks when I turn the key but wont turnover, if I jump it however she runs fine until it sits for a couple days un started then it needs a jump again
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »

You need to get a load test done on your battery, sometimes a votmeter will show 12 to 13.2 volts across the terminals but that is not necessarily indicative of the batteries performance under a heavy load such as cranking the engine over to start up. A load test is cheap and instantaneous and I am betting your battery will fail.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »

I can start it with one try while it is connected by cable to another car.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »

sounds familiar...unscrew your distributor cap and see if there's carbon build up in and around the screws (white powdery substance) if there is chances are it needs replacing...happened to my civic where it would start from time to time and then would not turn, but will start with a jump.

if not take your battery to lordco to have it tested (usually for free).

fisherforever

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »

You need to get a load test done on your battery, sometimes a voltmeter will show 12 to 13.2 volts across the terminals but that is not necessarily indicative of the batteries performance under a heavy load such as cranking the engine over to start up. A load test is cheap and instantaneous and I am betting your battery will fail.
This X2

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

Had the same problem last summer. It was the battery.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »

Thanks guys.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »

You need to get a load test done on your battery, sometimes a votmeter will show 12 to 13.2 volts across the terminals but that is not necessarily indicative of the batteries performance under a heavy load such as cranking the engine over to start up. A load test is cheap and instantaneous and I am betting your battery will fail.

First you make sure all terminal are clean and tight. Connect  your voltmeter to the battery clamps. make sure at least 12.6 volts, crank the engine, if the voltage drop below 9.6 volt. replace your battery .  Tight line ;)

Tenz85

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »

Replace the battery. If it's new, I'd suggest you take it to can tire and often they will check the life of the battery and ability it holds a charge.

How old is your battery? They often need to be replace between 5-10 years and if there's corrosion around the terminals more sooner than later because it hasn't been recharging properly so keep the terminals clean. You can buy solutions to cleans, use baking soda/water, Pepsi works and there a bunch of other cleaning solutions for battery acid corrosion.

Anway, new battery and you're good to go if it jump starts and your battery is t already new.