Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wader Damage and Repairing  (Read 6565 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Wader Damage and Repairing
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »

I believe that only works with Gore-tex. Most waders aren't actually Gore-Tex.

ShaunO

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »

You're right!   ;D

The isopropanol only works with GoreTex waders.  The AquaSeal/AquaSure will seal other leaks... once you find them.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

Has anyone here tried the Muck Boot option?  I know Simms has it as a special order for $100, but since its an outside company, I'm sure that they're compatible with most bootie type wader.

If you do any type of hiking/bushwacking just be aware that you will have little, if any, support in the ankle.
Which makes hiking more difficult and dangerous (like jogging in gum boots)

If I was in and out of a boat or fishing easily accessable areas or had some personal mobility problems (too old to tie my shoes)
they are nice and easy to get in and out of but other than that....

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »

For reparing non gore-tex you can turn the wader inside out and fill each leg indiviually with water and inspect for leaks, the trick is marking the spot so that you can fix it later with aquaseal once the wader is dry. I've used bright colored eyeliner pencil to circle the spot. It marks easy on wet surfaces and stays on long enough so you can find it later.  Done this on my Bares and Patagonias a few times with good results.

In this case you're better off trying to exchange probably, if they wont, try it and see.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »

A flashlight inside the waders in a dark room will show pinholes well.  You can circle them with regular pen, then ad a dab some Aquaseal on.  Aquaseal doesn't dry for about 12hr+, so to accelerate curing, use Cotol-240 and follow the directions on the bottle.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

I would send them back to the manufacturer. I had a leak on my Bare breathable waders back in 2008 and I sent them back and got a brand new pair. The waders were still less then a year old and they were good about replacing them. I would suggest for your next waders going with gortex. I know the simms waders are expensive but they are really tough and they seem to take a beating.

coby

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

thanks for all the tips ...
    My booty's started pouring in water last weekend, water temp, 38'. They are only a year old and have maybe 30 outings on them and on further inspection the seam tape has rolled up in a couple of spots. Other than that they have very little wear issues. Can I just use Aquaseal on the seam tape where its rolled up and expect a good repair or as mentioned in the simms video, bootys have to be replaced.
    Also, the wool sock buffer makes perfect sense but is it noticeably heavier? My felts are 2 sizes bigger, so I think I'd look forward to the wool socks, filling that void in my felts and adding a degree more stability. Currently I crank my laces up when securing my felts to compensate for the stretch out that comes from walkin'.
Cheers,
Coby