Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with my baitcaster hopefuly someone can help  (Read 14349 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Problem with my baitcaster hopefuly someone can help
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

Andrew - call them back and ask them these two questions

Why do they need to replace the line guard ?
i have never needed to replace a line guard not even on the reels that have close to ten years of braided line usage

what is the cost of each part needing replacement (pawl, wormgear, and if it does infact need a lineguard then that too) ?

get them to quote you the after taxes price of each part individually and then an all together cost. This will show you how much they are charging for repair cost then you can decide to go with it or just buy the parts and have someone do it for you or figure it our yourself.

I would also call another repair shop like Mike's reel repair or Express reel service for cost quotes. That price is WAY to high !! I had a complete overhaul done on my Shimano Catala through Express and it cost me around $30 and it had several parts replaced.

I would also look out for a 6501 (left hand) and then you can use the Kalex as a backup if it ever needs fixing. the 6500/6501 series are also very easy to work on  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:36:05 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »

Andrew,

Do what HOOK says ,and then bring the reel to me or him and we will get it fixed for you. $78 dollars for fixing a Kalex is outrageous.

Don't even bother buying new parts. A Kalex reel doesn't deserve that kind of investment. It's a disposable reel good for the occasional fisherman, not a passionate angler.

Instead, shop around for a nice Ambassadeur c3 or c4 (you can find them quite cheap).
I may have some usable used parts to fix your Kalex with, and if I don't, I know where to get them cheap.

Whatsmore, I am willing to lend you one of my (many) older workhorse Ambassadeurs to tie you over until you get a new reel and/or your Kalex is fixed. Warning: you may want to end up wanting to buy one of my reels...that's how smooth they are. :D

I don't trade in reels nor do I fix them for a living. I am just a passionate ABU collector who is only beginning to understand the innards of the Ambassadeurs. I am offering to do this as a one-time favour to you.

Cheers,

Milo

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »

Buy a good used Abu 6501 (should be about what you would have paid to fix the Kalex).

Use your Kalex to practice taking apart and putting back together.

If you do any amount of fishing at all in the future, it would be beneficial to learn how to service your own reels

You can get the Schematics off of Mike's Reel Repair site.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »

Agree with others the Kalex is junk get a better one, I had two and they both bit the dust quickly, more fool me.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:49 AM »

One word "shimano", my Calcuttas have outlasted my ambassadeurs by many years, this is under the daily grind of working guiding reels, a true test of performance.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

penguinabc123

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »

again with all the generosity folks wow thanks.

Yesterday I found a good 6501 on craigslist and picked it up for $60 so i think im ahead of the game now. I will be grabbing my Kalex back tonight and then maybee on the weekend sometime I can try to bring it to Milo or Hook to take a peak at and see whats going on with it. Im not sure when/where might be a good place to meet, I live in port coquitlam so let me know what works best.
Thanks again for all the tips, I think if I didn't have this forum I most likley would have paid to get it fixed, and then next year paid to get it fixed again lol. Thankfully that was not the case and now that I have a working reel I can get back out fishing.
Thanks!!

-Andrew

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »

This weekend I am out of town, but I will be available during the week or next weekend.
I live on Capitol Hill in Burnaby, so it's a short drive for you to bring your Kalex over.

I have a used but not abused worm gear and pawl that we can put in your Kalex, gotta see what's happening with the line guard.

Assuming that your 6501 is mint, you made a great purchase for the price. Bring that one too to check the innards and maybe do some preventative maintenance.
We'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Milo

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

One word "shimano", my Calcuttas have outlasted my ambassadeurs by many years, this is under the daily grind of working guiding reels, a true test of performance.

Which Ambassadeurs?

I always get a laugh when people compare Calcuttas to Ambassadeurs C3s or C4s because they are comparing a high end 300-dollar reel to a 100-dollar workhorse. In other words, for one Calcutta, you get to buy three Ambassadeur C3s.

But compare the Calcutta series to ABU's high-end Ambassadeur Morrum series (similar price), and the Morrum reels will kick Calcutta's butt all around.

Each to their own.

penguinabc123

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

Hey that sounds great Milo let me know which day next week works and a time that I can swing by with both. Thanks again for the help!!

-Andrew

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »

I have ambassadeur 6500 "the rocket", which were apparently the bomb which broke down slightly slower that the other 6500's I had, which were the blue model, again not a low end 6500.

I have no affiliation with any reel company, just stating facts about reel perforamance.

My Calcutta 400's were $210 when I purchased them a decade ago, they are still running original parts with cleaning every other year.

I also have had endless trouble with Ambassadeur 7000's as well, they sit in boxes waiting to be sent to be fixed, I peplaced those with Shimano Tekotas and am still yet to have a failure.

To be honest I have tried Penn reels, Okuma reels and others and realized quickly trips to reel repair shops eat up the difference in costs very quickly.

These are my opinions, others have theirs, not interested in arguing about it.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

penguinabc123

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

Milo - not sure how to PM you but I just got back from riverside fly/tackle and spoke to Gary there who after I explained my reel situation said he would send it off to get warranty repair no charge, as long as I wasn't in a rush to get it back. So I said yes and its on its way
So thanks so much again for the offer to help fix it up but it looks like I won't have to bother ya anymore. and at least i have my 6501 going so i can fish in the meantime!!

-Andrew

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

Glad to see the shop stepped up and dealt with it the way it should have been from the beginning.  ;D

also happy you have another reel to fish in the meantime
Check out our new blog

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 01:18:58 AM »

Is 80 bucks a fair price on a baitcaster service with replaced level wind parts?
The Bigger The Better!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »

Is 80 bucks a fair price on a baitcaster service with replaced level wind parts?

depends on the parts and make of the reel...my opinion...most components that need replacing are relatively cheap so 80 bucks sounds a little steep.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

$80 is way out to lunch seeing as you can just buy another reel used for the same price or even less  ::)

I still say that everyone should learn to service their own reels be it levelwind, spinning, center pin, fly reels (click/pawl or disc drag)

of course there is always going to be a few things you cant do at home but there are usually going to be more of a major fix then just parts, lubing or an adjustment. for example having the post on a center pin repaired, replaced or fixed because it is loose, bent or broken.

I think places charging that much are trying to offset the fact most people can and do repair/service their own reels nowadays

HOOK - this thread reminds me that i should order the spring for my dads reel i fixed river side by creating a new ring on the spring end after it ha broken clear off but hey why bother when it actually works better now  ;D
Check out our new blog