Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wader Damage and Repairing  (Read 6564 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Wader Damage and Repairing
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »

I picked up a new pair of waders and boots 3 months ago, and have been using both quite a bit. But In the last couple weeks, both of the feet have had heavy leaking, and I have been enjoying my recent trips with soggy cold feet.  :P I notice one of the neo booties on my breathables the seem strip has peeled off leaving a huge opening to the inside. Also both heels have rubbed out and it no longer stops water from getting in.

Do you guys have the same problem with the heels wearing out? Iv never had this problem before, Im starting to think it was because of the new boots, and yes I do tie them up tight... They fit right...
Kinda sucks putting 300+ dollars into a pair of waders that will only last 3 months. >:(
I heard the booties can be replaced, is that true?

Just like to hear back if anyone had had these problems before? My wader are redington cpx, my boots are bear karmodes. Thanks
The Bigger The Better!

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Wader Damage and Repairing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »

Take them back to the shop, $300+ waders should last more than 3 months regardless of how much you fish.  Not the first time I've heard of Redington waders wearing out in the feet.  Simms (the ones made in the US) can replace the feet, but I suspect anything made overseas (Redington) is just replaced instead of repaired.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:27:57 PM by Matt »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:51 PM »

Sorry to hear about your wader predicament.
It's weird. I wear my boots fairly loose, and I never had damage to my neoprene booties.
I've also wore new boots and never a problem. IT could be that your booties were faulty or something.

But your waders are in warranty, so...you know what to do. Go to the local store where you bought them and have them replaced.
If it happens again, have the waders replaced as many times as necessary until they fix the problem or upgrade you to a better model.
Because you DID buy them new and locally, didn't you?
Also, it is not a bad idea to have a pair of cheaper backup waders for emergencies and on extended trips.

Leaky waders suck big time.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »

Iv had problems dealing with the store I got my waders from in the first place. I was gifted the wrong wader, wanted the freestones, but after 3 trips to the shop and almost two years later they still did not have my waders in... So I took the next best thing I thought they had which was the redingtons new cpx model. I didnt care for there service at all and took a pair of waders before they went under, thats the way I saw them going.

Ill bring them back to the shop and see what they have to say. But theyll probably give me some BS. Ill try and post some pictures later.
The Bigger The Better!

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:18:43 AM »

Here is the key, from the first day you buy your waders, put a pair of large wooly socks over your booties then put them in your boots, this protects against wear on the neoprene booties.
Always buy your boots 2 sizes larger than your feet as well, this will allow room for the socks and actually cause less wear on the boots and neo feet.
Not to mention the #1 cause of cold feet is tight boots.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:36:22 AM »

I have worn through the heels in two different brands of waders before so it does happen.  Bent rods is right on, a pair of wool socks inbetween the waders and boot will help prevent this or I have used Simms neoprene socks inbetween that worked well.

The CPX waders were known for having bootie issues.  The sonic pros are supposed to be better.  I would deal with Reddington direct. Give them a call they are just in Washington. I have dealt with them before and they were great. I wouldn't be surprise if they upgraded you to the new sonic pros

Kenwee

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »

Trouble free waders are Simms waders.........no issues, always work they way they are meant to.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:16:03 AM »

Trouble free waders are Simms waders.........no issues, always work they way they are meant to.

I'm not too sure there is such a thing as a trouble free breathable wader.

Although Simms is a high quality wader there are many people that still have them leak on them prematurely. There is also a big difference between there lower end and higher end models, and they are not all made in the USA.

Even with Simms if you have not had a pair of waders leak at some point, you don't fish enough  ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »

I'm not too sure there is such a thing as a trouble free breathable wader.

Although Simms is a high quality wader there are many people that still have them leak on them prematurely. There is also a big difference between there lower end and higher end models, and they are not all made in the USA.

Even with Simms if you have not had a pair of waders leak at some point, you don't fish enough  ;D

So bloody true! :D

scuntor

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »

Good tip about the socks BentRod!
I am worried about my Wright and McGills as my feet are size 16, my booties are too small and my cheap boots are too small. The inside of the boot if pretty rough. Waiting for someone to stock the simms freestone in my size.

floatfisher

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »

I have had pair of G4's for three years now, I take off January to March off from work and fish literally every second day, many times everyday. I also fish in my waders September to November for salmon atleast 3 days a week, many times more as well. They're leak free and I have had no problems with them yet. Simms in my mind are best waders out there, just look at what the guides up north use where they literally live I their waders.

BIgFisher I would deal with the waded manufacturer directly. They will usually cover the shipping in some sort of a way, usually by an upgrade, and be sure to tell them how this specific shop has been with getting you replacement waders even if they were a different brand before.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:38:18 AM by floatfisher »

ShaunO

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Has anyone here tried the Muck Boot option?  I know Simms has it as a special order for $100, but since its an outside company, I'm sure that they're compatible with most bootie type wader.

Copper Koski

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »

I own a pair of Simms G3 Breathable waders. They have lasted through a salmon and steelhead season. There are many spots that are wearing through now, that needed to be repaired. I am still pretty impressed with the quality. Past waders I have owned, usually start to discintegrate in about half that time. The booties are still in great shape, socks overtop make a big difference.

thunder_struckt

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »

If you are willing to spend $300 on waders, you should really only be looking at Simms waders. I know several fishermen (including myself) who have given other brands a try, but all (who spend $300+ on waders) eventually default to Simms.

Also, you could be prematurely wearing out your waders by not wearing gravel guards, or maybe your wading boots allow too much sand/gravel to come into the boot from the sides (some have crappy mesh sides) and that can cause a lot of friction between the bottom of your neos and the boot.

Orrrr, it is simply a crappy wader. When i buy some piece of gear, i often ask myself "what does this company know about making <item>?" Just like i wouldn't buy a fishing rod made by Simms, i wouldn't buy a pair of waders made by Redington.

I might buy a higher-end Orvis, Patagonia, Bare or Arc'teryx if they ever went into the business of making waders.

ShaunO

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »

I'm surprised this wasn't already here.

Here is a link to the pinhole repair guide for Simms waders.  All you need is some isopropanol in a squirt bottle and some AquaSeal/AquaSure.  I'm certain this technique works with all brands of breathable waders.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006&media_id=00019

Here is a link for the repair of leaking booties:

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006&media_id=00018