Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inner harbour and sea-run cutthroat  (Read 9777 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Inner harbour and sea-run cutthroat
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »

Be prepared to put on a lot of miles :)

Clarki....hilarious comment .... "they taste like fish".    What are fish supposed to taste like?  Chicken?  hahahaha.  I know what you were getting at, of course, it's just funny as written :)

apollo

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

Thanks for the info Rodney, I think ? This is all I wanted to know. I am more than willing to put the time in as long as i know there is some chance of catching something. Iam not trying to suck people for info on secret spots or anything like that. I just wanted to know if there is a possibility of catching some trout on the northshore side at this time of the year. I apologize if i upset people for nicely asking for some help. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

Thanks for the info Rodney, I think ? This is all I wanted to know. I am more than willing to put the time in as long as i know there is some chance of catching something. Iam not trying to suck people for info on secret spots or anything like that. I just wanted to know if there is a possibility of catching some trout on the northshore side at this time of the year. I apologize if i upset people for nicely asking for some help. 

It's the nature of the fishery.  Go out and you'll see why it is probably the only useful advice you'll get :)

They might be there, they might not be is an honest appraisal of the SRC fishery here.  I've had banner days at a spot one day and then a week later it's barren and the pods of fish have moved somewhere else.  Even if you keep a journal all it will do is tell you there "may" be fish there with a higher probability during certain times :)

Good luck, it is very rewarding when you do find them.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »

Oh, I don't think anyone is upset apollo, just reluctant to share information. There is a difference...  

During their marine phase, cutthroat can stray many miles from their natal stream (I read once upwards of 10 miles). So if you do some research and find cutthroat producing streams, then, as others have said, any gravelly beach in the area will hold cutthroat at some point. You don't have to necessarily constrain yourself to the estuary.

However I will disagree slightly with my learned colleagues on one point about the migratory nature of these fish. True, they are called ghosts for a reason, however I fish some beaches that at the right time of year, on the right tide, I fish confidently as I know will always find fish. A skunk would be surprising. So, with time, you may happen upon beach with the right stuff that consistently produces. I've journalled for years, and as Rod said, helpful patterns do emerge over time.

Clarki....hilarious comment .... "they taste like fish".    What are fish supposed to taste like?  Chicken?  hahahaha.  I know what you were getting at, of course, it's just funny as written :)

Don't give me too much credit. I meant it as I wrote it :)

apollo

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the info. Wish me luck.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »

thats a nice looking trout,
thanks for all the info,
now i just can't wait for the break to get out there and fish 8)