Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye found in Allouette  (Read 7657 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Sockeye found in Allouette
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:03:35 PM »

I'll post this once, and once only. Looks can be very decieving. I've fished virtually every lake in the lower mainland, and nothing, NOTHING, compares to what im getting in the allouette river. Buntzen today, only little fish. Gone to mike lake. Little fish. Hayward, stave, honestly everywhere. Nothing compares to the allouette. I dont know what it is, but the spot i go to, is stupid. Its actually too easy to catch decent size fish. Last night i got a 3 pound coho. Ive pulled out some 2 pound rainbows. Sure there not massive, but when you get upwards of 5 a night, it all becomes worth it. The allouette is amazing. Shhh

There's no fishing for coho salmon allowed on the Alouette between April 1st and August 31st above 216th Street, including North Alouette River.

The fisheries you are comparing are incomparable. Lakes around here such as Buntzen are stocked lakes that are supplemented by the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery. The rainbow trout stocked in these lakes are typically between 200 and 300 grams. They do not grow much bigger due to the lack of nutrients in our coastal lakes. These fish are raised to this size before releasing and are intended for people to catch and keep, therefore the fishing is generally good for a few weeks after stocking and poor during the summer months because no stocking is done.

Streams in the Lower Mainland such as the Alouette River have both resident and anadromous trout. Most of these trout are wild, which are required to be released. The odd hatchery trout are present. The objective of hatchery programs in these small streams is different to the way local lakes are managed. There is an ongoing effort on rebuilding the trout populations in the Fraser Valley streams, which have severely declined over the years. Although hatchery marked trout (the absence of an adipose fin and the presence of a healed scar) maybe kepted, most anglers who are familiar with these programs would recommend others to release all fish to assist this ongoing effort in stock rebuilding.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »

and if anyone actually believes freak then i have a bridge id like to sell them. ;)

Nice try freak. ::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 06:36:48 PM »

I'll have to second what firstlight says. First the coho that do arrive in the Alouette don't arrive until usually late September, second I have never caught a rainbow in the river but have caught many cutthroat. The cutthroat are usually small in the 10-12 inch range with the odd one going to 14''. I have caught some bigger cutthroat but its rare.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

freakonaleash

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 09:25:46 PM »

and if anyone actually believes freak then i have a bridge id like to sell them. ;)

Nice try freak. ::)

You think I want you to believe me ? I'll keep the good fishing to myself thanks

I've said it on here before, I never keep fish, regardless of what kind.

I'm almost tempted to bring a camera to show you what i catch there, but i'd rather not. You seem completley set on the fact that i dont get decent sized fish on the allouette ? 2 and 3 pound fish blow your mind ? Have you ever fished anywhere "good" ?

Ps, what are you saying "nice try" about ? I'm just curious.

freakonaleash

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »

I'll have to second what firstlight says. First the coho that do arrive in the Alouette don't arrive until usually late September, second I have never caught a rainbow in the river but have caught many cutthroat. The cutthroat are usually small in the 10-12 inch range with the odd one going to 14''. I have caught some bigger cutthroat but its rare.

It was definatley a coho. It was almost chrome. Its mouth was stuck wide open and it had quite a few spots on it. Its almost september is it not ? They spawn around october or so correct ? There logically could be some running through there right now, its not that far from the ocean.

Where i go, i catch many rainbows. MOST are very small, but the odd one gets big, 2 pounds the biggest. 2 pounds on an older fish scale though, so maybe not exactly 2 ?

Cutthroat are abundant there, but there always small.

Dolly's also appear where i go as well. Very rarely though. One of my buddys got a 1 pound or so dolly.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »

yes I do believe it could of been a coho. There where already a few bright crome chums as well at the Alco hatchery. Just because the main run does not get here till later there is always a chance at some early arrivals.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Sockeye in the Allouette update
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »

Here is the latest update regarding what will be next for the sockeye in the Allouette. Sounds like hydrowants to do the right thing but seems to be very cautious regarding building a fish ladder.

B.C. Hydro will lead the way for sockeye plan
By Phil Melnychuk - Maple Ridge News - November 14, 2007    |    |      |   

The heavy load that the friends of fish at Alouette River Management Society have been hoisting will lighten a little bit.

B.C. Hydro has agreed to take on the job of coordinating federal, volunteer and B.C. agencies in the continuing saga of restoring sockeye to the Alouette River.

"We're pleased with the results going forward. We're equally really pleased to have the salmon returned. So we've agreed, B.C. Hydro will take the lead with the agenda," Charlotte Bemister, Hydro's community relations spokesman, said Friday.

MP Randy Kamp (Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission) set up the meeting last week so that a way could be found to start rebuilding the sockeye population, now that it's been proven the salmon in the Alouette reservoir are descendants of sockeye trapped in the lake for 80 years.

DNA tests on sockeye that returned from the ocean last summer showed they came from the lake two years previous during an unscheduled escape down the spillway.

Initially, rebuilding sockeye would involve trapping the sockeye at the base of the dam, and trucking them around it and dumping them back into the lake, where they could complete their spawning cycle.

A fishway around the dam, however, could lead sockeye directly into the lake. Unlike other salmon species, young sockeye need a year in a lake before starting their migration to the Pacific Ocean.

Bemister said Hydro has been part of the gradual scientific process of restoring sockeye to the system, citing the Hydro-funded fertilization program in the lake. That program has allowed the sockeye population to jump – creating a good base for eventual migration.

"We've been part of this from Day 1."

She said ARMS has been the lead agency but Hydro has been involved all along, adding that Hydro wants to be cautious and is not immediately committing to building a fishway.

Geoff Clayton of ARMS said the meeting wouldn't have happened without Kamp, who's parliamentary secretary to the fisheries minister.

But he also wants Kamp to encourage the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to be involved at every step.

Clayton said ARMS has applied to Hydro's coastal fish habitat restoration program for funding the next step to support a trap and truck program for the sockeye.

Total cost for that would be about $30,000 – needed for new tubs for the sockeye and a trailer to carry the fish.

Meanwhile, ARMS is already working on the step to restoring the run, doing a feasibility study for a fishway. That will be done by the Ministry of Environment, said Clayton.

The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund has given tentative approval for a $30,000 grant to fund that.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day