Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 300206 times)

typhoon

• Old Timer

First fish is clearly wild. I would have kept it in the water for the pic but I have no reason to believe the fish was harmed.
Second fish is clearly hatchery.  I wouldn't even classify this as a misclip since the "lobe" is clearly flush with the back. Those who said wild clearly haven't caught enough hatchery fish.
This chart made the rounds a few years back. I believe it came from Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, so it may not translate directly to BC. I had a chat with a CO a few years back and he used the clear definition of no hanging lobe as the best indicator of a hatchery fish.

Howlongsyourleader

For those who were out today, what is the clarity like?
Have you seen my float?

Nicolas The Fisherman

We had quite a bit of rain last night so the river is pretty chalky as expected. Picture is from Freds Facebook page.

hrenya

First fish is clearly wild. I would have kept it in the water for the pic but I have no reason to believe the fish was harmed.
Second fish is clearly hatchery.  I wouldn't even classify this as a misclip since the "lobe" is clearly flush with the back. Those who said wild clearly haven't caught enough hatchery fish.
This chart made the rounds a few years back. I believe it came from Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, so it may not translate directly to BC. I had a chat with a CO a few years back and he used the clear definition of no hanging lobe as the best indicator of a hatchery fish.

ty

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Too bad there wasn't a non clipped for the picture series.
And a note to all (even though you should know):
Clipping after the fact is quite evident!

If you don't know, let it go!
(Note: officers discretion)

Good post Typhoon  8)

Robert_G

That fish is hatchery....the C/V has been littered with poorly clipped fish (Coho and Steelhead both) ever since I can remember fishing for them. I can tell from the picture that is a hatchery fish...never mind if someone was up close.

hrenya

the fish his dad caught is hatch too ?  :-\

HOOK

• Old Timer

some of the comments a few of you made make me want to bang my own head against a wall !  like seriously  ??? ???

Silverchaser - Awesome fish you got there. We spoke to you minutes after you got it and also spoke with your dad and brother along the dyke. Keep up the good work out there  ;D

I totally sh** the bed on sunday losing 3 myself  :'( :'( and my dad and buddy each also lost 1
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigsnag

• Old Timer

I totally sh** the bed on sunday losing 3 myself 

On the fly?

Looking fwd to see some of your new creations(flies).
It ain't the roe bro'

Britguy

• Old Timer

Clipped or not clipped ::) that is the question ;D

For those of you that have not had the chance, I would highly recomend taking time to volunteer at a hatchery and help them clip some fish. :)

I know for a fact that some of the fish i clipped the first time would be hard to distinguish (Wild or Hatch) if ever caught :-\

Believe me it is very hard to get the right clip on a small wriggling fish ( even when lightly sedated) with a tiny pair of scissors  :-\
Then you may understand why some clipped fish seem to have an adipose fin intact ???

Great pics by the way.

NothingToSnagAbout

Believe me it is very hard to get the right clip on a small wriggling fish ( even when lightly sedated) with a tiny pair of scissors  :-\
Then you may understand why some clipped fish seem to have an adipose fin intact ???

You've pretty much described a mohel  :-[

brandooner

lots of people out there today
The Fishin' Musician!

NothingToSnagAbout

lots of people out there today
Nobody works anymore?

brandooner

Seems like it, I work today but didn't start until noon.
The Fishin' Musician!

Howlongsyourleader

Water has cleared up nicely. Encountered a car in the ditch on lake road just below the firehall this morning. Lots of black ice out there. Drive safe
Have you seen my float?