Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe Bag Question  (Read 10361 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Roe Bag Question
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:05:36 PM »

OK - so I decided to tie up a few roe bags (first time baby!).  I had to let the procure roe defrost first - then made some bags.  Can I refreeze the roe and roe bags?  Any info is appreciated!   :)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Roe Bag Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 10:07:54 PM »

I would sprinkle some borax on it. I freeze mine with some borax and it works great!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:20:29 PM »

You can freeze and refreeze procured roe. No problem.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:41:04 PM »

Dosent the quality droped alot once you refreeze. I froze some pink roe the day i caught it next day in unfroze cured it froze it again and it wouldent even stay on the bait loop for one cast. Second time i cured spring roe the day i caught it and froze it once and works so well. Dont know if its just the spring roe that is better overal or what. Cuz i was thinking of tying up some roe sacks too and freezing it up for saturday.
[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:44:36 PM »

The problem is that you froze the pink eggs without curing it first.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 10:46:27 PM »

Tying some for this weekend as we speak!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:38:17 PM »

Hmm good point didnt think about that well gona try tommorow and find out if refreezing will affectt them.
[

No_way

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 01:41:26 AM »

Hmm good point didn't think about that well gona try tomorrow and find out if refreezing will affectt them.

Everyone I've fished with has aways frozen roe fresh.  Always worked fine, but like frozen food it's best to thaw it in the fridge.  I think that you had some poor roe and or thawed it too fast.  It is after all just a piece of fish flesh, and the stuff on sushi has been frozen fresh and looks great.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »

Hmm good point didn't think about that well gona try tomorrow and find out if refreezing will affectt them.

Everyone I've fished with has aways frozen roe fresh.  Always worked fine, but like frozen food it's best to thaw it in the fridge.  I think that you had some poor roe and or thawed it too fast.  It is after all just a piece of fish flesh, and the stuff on sushi has been frozen fresh and looks great.
It wasant so much for the look and feel of the roe but the skein was too weak to hold the roe even in slow water.
[

No_way

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 05:49:50 AM »

Floater,

Was it you that posted the bit about curing the roe in water?  Was this the same stuff you talking about?  Is so, I think is issue was already settled.  Plus it could have just been crappy roe, we've all had it and it's no reflection on the fish you caught  ;)

I remember having some dog roe that the eggs just would not stick to the skin.  You cast it and all you would see is eggs raining down on the water.  Junk, but it happens.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 07:08:42 AM »

re-freezing roe is supposed to weaken the egg membrane which makes them milk faster and break apart easier. Pro Cure now makes a cure called "Last Supper".  It claims that you can re-freeze the roe as much as you like.  It also claims to be a "no stain" cure.  I just cured my first batch with it, so I can't back it up, but I'll report after fishing with it.  Note: it does take about 5 days to properly cure roe with the "Last Supper", so don't plan on doing it over night. 

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 07:20:06 AM »

I see some posts about roe bags...but none on single eggs....does noone fish single eggs???

mojo...just curious... 8)
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 08:02:47 AM »

Single eggs are just tough to get to stay on an egg loop hook and also a little difficult to make a roe bag with just one egg.  I'd recommend a sprig of wool with pro cure egg scent on it.  It will usually fish just as well. 

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 08:06:25 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys!  As for single (water hardened) eggs - I hear that they also work, but have less of a scent as opposed to the procured roe.  But I must admit - I can't speak from experience...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 11:30:13 AM »

Bentrod: Where did you buy your Last Supper ? (no pun intended) :)