Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Port Mann  (Read 4791 times)

nosey

New Port Mann
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »

Haha new Port Mann Bridge closing down already, sounds like the Liberals just built their own fast ferry to me.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: New Port Mann
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »

I love how the builder called the weather the last couple days an anomaly.
Come on really? Seemed like a pretty standard slushy wet windy mess we usually see down here to me.

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

Let's not rush tearing the old one down quite yet!!??

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:47:48 PM »

I can't remember but did they have the cables up last year when it snowed? They could have foreseen this problem and could have prevented this whole fiasco that could have very easily killed someone.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »

It's apparently a problem with suspension bridges. However the weather condition that causes it, is rare. Happened in Tacoma in January....  http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/wsp-tacoma-narrows-bridge-closed-due-falling-ice/nGWg8/

In the case of the Port Mann I think you would probably be more accurate if you blamed them for the weather,  ??? ... rather than the bridge.....   ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

It is a problem only with suspention bridges that are designed in a configuration where the cables run over top of the roadway. The Alex Fraser bridge is also a suspention bridge but the cables run up beside the roadway, not over top of it, no problem. The Lions gate bridge does not run cables over the roadway either and hence no problems. Somebody dropped the ball!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »

It is a problem only with suspention bridges that are designed in a configuration where the cables run over top of the roadway. The Alex Fraser bridge is also a suspention bridge but the cables run up beside the roadway, not over top of it, no problem. The Lions gate bridge does not run cables over the roadway either and hence no problems. Somebody dropped the ball!

Looks like somebody dropped the ball on the Alex Fraser as well....   http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/11/bc-fallingice.html
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

Looks like somebody dropped the ball on the Alex Fraser as well....   http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/11/bc-fallingice.html
There were 60 damage claims on the Port Mann!!

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »

Right now is more than double

chief

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

Apparently contractors working on the bridge construction  last winter experienced similar problems and concerns were documented at safety meetings etc. Of course "powers that be" can't recall details but eventually s**t will hit the fan !!!

1son

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »

Pretty crazy stuff girlfriend of mine had ice come crashing down and smashed up her windshield a few days ago must've been quite a scare I would image

elroyperch

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »

watch those expansion joints on the bridge roadway there slicker than snot ,car in front of me braked hard  so i did to ,hit that steel i swear the car sped up!!pitched me over towards next lane,not cool in traffic

nosey

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

I can't imagine having to pay a toll to go to work and then have to miss half a days wages every now and then because the bridge is shut down, anybody that has ever stood under a bare cottonwood or maple tree in a slush storm should have been able to figure that one out. So far the builders only defense is that it was built to Canadian codes, which i guess means "we did not do due diligence on it before we started we just built it the cheapest way possible". It was built and designed by people that don't have snow, I hope they will be held accountable, if this continues it will cost the city  and the province extra billions if this is a going to be a regular thing. Maybe they'll have to raise the tolls to pay for the shut downs.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »

I heard they are hiring temporary foreign workers to clear the ice from the cables as a solution.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

So are they going to close the bridge every time there is heavy snow? That will be so disrupting to traffic and communters.