Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 7780 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!
Boats
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »

Just out of interest (do remember an earlier thread - but can't find!), what would you say is the entry level boat/motor combo for using on the Harrison / Pitt and to cross the Fraser (not really bombing up and down like the jet boats - more just crossing to get away from the crowds!).

Been thinking 16' and say 25hp??   ???

Thx
Try the fly!

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Re: Boats
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Atleast that! :)
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

chum dad

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »

I use a 15' with a 30hp works great on all the local flows (Harrison, Stave, Fraser), i used to use a 15hp without any issues. Depends on how many people you want to transport hence the bigger jet boats.

skunked

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »

12 ft deep hull with a 15 hp at the very least and make sure u are wearing your lifevest anything more is bonus

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
    • Vancouver Fishing Trips
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »

14' Lowe or G3 flatbottom boats are perfect for running the Fraser and Harrison Rivers. Match it with a 20-25hp prop, and you can always switch to a jet leg in the future if you want. They also make a great flyfishing boat for lake fishing.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »

Hey Fishing in Van - by flat bottom you mean Jon Boats?  So a 14ft Jon - say the 14ft with 57" wide beam??   ???

Though I note this particular model is limited to a 20hp.

Try the fly!

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

Kype, yes i do mean Jon boats. I have seen a few 14' lowes with 25/20hp jets on them. Each brand probably has differet HP ratings. I used to have a 16' lowe flatbottom with a 70 jet on it....what a great boat, it would go anywhere.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »

Thanks Fishing in Van - great news! 

You might just see us bobbing around on the river this Summer!!

Cheers  ;)
Try the fly!

Butch1949

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »

I've a 14 Mysty River alum with a 30Hp Yamaha 2 stroke, I've some low rev issues to deal with and thx to all those who helped me out I should and could be river ready this year, saw Rodney's Bar fishing tutorials , (excellant education ), with his good buddy providing in a 5-6 part series on bar fishing the Fraser river.  Personally I have fished a few bars from shore but want to try the aspect of bar fishing on the Fraser, I have from that series obtained a map of bar fishing sites on the Fraser from mouth to Hope, The series suggested fishing the bars from Chilliwack to Hope.......any suggestions on where to launch for a fun and safe experience for river novice.  Did check out Harrison Lake boat launch- very pricey and busy.....no, did check out Kilby, looked a little better and not a lot of parking for truck  and trailer tho if it gets busy, did go up further towards the beginning of Sasquatch Park and there was a launch with ample parking and across the lake was the Harrison River mouth, I want to give this a try and any suggestions?, can you get to the mouth of the Chehalis and land and bar fish about there?, and on the Fraser I have visited the launch at Fort Langley, and a not a lot of parking......Gill Road Bar with seems like good opportunities with even an island across the way where I saw boats docked and fishermen busy.  Any help? :-\
"I don't catch fish"

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »

Hey Butch, Gill road is a good location to launch if you're bar fishing. There are a few good spots to bar fish between there and the Rosedale bridge. Island 22 is also another good launch location with lots of parking, and you're only a 5 minute boat ride from Grassy and Wellington bars.

poper

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »

You can use a 9.9hp with a 14ft deep haul and get around no problem with 2 people in the boat. I have seen people with 6hp and a 12ft boat,now that's a little hairy for me.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »

A decent 12 ft and 9.9 was good enough for most for years.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »

I have a small 12 foot inflatable (Achilles) craft and an 8 horse that I run up and down the Harrison and out to the Peg and beyond.  Because it has a shallow draft, I can get away with less horse power (it really hauls on the hydroplane), but I would not recommend less than 10 hps.
Not all those who wander are lost

fishman254

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »

On the HARRISON River, not the Fraser, a buddy of mine has fished with me using his 10' boat with a 6 hp motor. I've used a 12' boat there. But I haven't experienced the big winds that I hear can occasionally occur on the Harrison River. This would be from Kilby launch. Uh, if you have to cross part of Harrison LAKE to get to the Harrison River then I'm thinking 16' minimum, and no big wind forecasted, especially for your return trip which might be hours later.

We had to TOW a 12' inflatable downstream on the Harrison River one year because his motor went out and the wind actually blew him upstream enough that they couldn't make any progress downstream (in the lower-current areas). Wow. Bring a backup motor.

Butch1949

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »

Thx Fishing in Vancouver will give Gill Road a try, did go out there for a look last year and seemed spacious and the price for launch was right-lol, did watch boats head east as you note but also saw some head west from Gill :o
"I don't catch fish"