Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: motor run in the fraser  (Read 5393 times)

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
Re: motor run in the fraser
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

Thanks for the advice people.  I did the swap, and now own the 25 HP 2 stroke.  It came with a skeg protecter on it, and I am happy with the design of it.  The engine didn't seem to spit out water when the motor was first fired up, but after about 45 seconds, water started to dribble out.  Then about 30 seconds later it was a solid stream, then it went back to about a half flow stream.  It did this a few times.  The water was never scolding hot, but it was very warm.  It seems like either the thermostat is opening and closing, causing a strong, then a weaker stream of water.  It is way easier to change the impeller now, and know that it has been done. 
cheers.

If the motor was used in the salt, the water outflow can be partialy blocked with salt crystals.
The resistance will also cause the motor to run rough.
Take a small piece of wire and push it into the water discharge and clear it out .Then run the motor again and see if it makes a difference.
Mine was 90% blocked.
I had this happen on one of my kickers and found out first hand that this is what happened.
Easy to do.Just don't push the wire in real deep.
Worth a shot before you get too deep into diagnosis.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

fishbuster

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »

Also a piece of weed eater line works well.  Flexible and just the right dia.

Butch1949

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

I wish to thank all of the above who responded in kind to my request to solve my Yamaha 30 HP, 2 stroke low rev early stall issues.  Thx alwaysfishn for your early diagnosis and first response, but I'm hoping and will respond if it goes that far,  Thx troutbreath for your following suggestion of carb cleaner and I will try this if the next steps fail, Thx fish fishburn I am going to add stabil and seafoam and switch to the higher grade (non ethanol) gas and go get at Napa or Crappy Tire the products you referred ( fuel additive type), Thx scunter and if it comes to this (and I'm thankful you said it was easy) I will take the carb off and rebuild with dry blows, Thx Randofish for your suggestion on pushing a wire careful not too deep into the water discharge hole, I will try this first, Thx fishbuster for the weed eater info on flex and diameter, will pick up a bit of it from my mother-in-law who just put new line on her wacker great!, again Thx to you all, Love this forum where fishermen help others in need , I'm ever so grateful ;)
"I don't catch fish"