Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 208540 times)

1morecast

River level starting to come up mid river, water clarity deteriorated quickly in the 3  hours I was out there

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Is now mud around the Vedder Bridge , Canal still fishable as the mud had not reached it when I looked a few minutes ago but what a downpour now, will be toast tomorrow I would presume.

The usually crowds still fishing the muddy area. ::)

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal

This morning at first light I caught a hatchery Coho and hatchery jack Chinook. I've never caught a hatchery jack Chinook before and when I filleted the fish was surprised to find pink/red meat. I've heard of marble Chinook meat, but this was pink/red throughout. I'm not certain but thought the Chilliwack fall hatchery fish were white Chinooks? I'm assuming this a late jack spring from the summer run?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:50:52 PM by jessestmars »

cdjk123

Fished from 11-230 above tamahi and in yarrow.

By the time I left water was on the big rise. Visibility got fairly murky. More rain is still expected.
I suspect tomorrow might be a write off day. Saw tons of fresh looking fish in yarrow, and tones of ugly zombie springs up river.

Lots of activity and fresh fish moving in. Too bad I didn't get any! ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

This morning at first light I caught a hatchery Coho and hatchery jack Chinook. I've never caught a hatchery jack Chinook before and when I filleted the fish was surprised to find pink/red meat. I've heard of marble Chinook meat, but this was pink/red throughout. I'm not certain but thought the Chilliwack fall hatchery fish were white Chinooks? I'm assuming this a late jack spring from the summer run?
I got one that was the same a couple of weeks ago, always a special surprise. My was a clipped fish so will send in.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

This morning at first light I caught a hatchery Coho and hatchery jack Chinook. I've never caught a hatchery jack Chinook before ...

they are all hatchery fish. Hatchery chinook are not marked. In the case an adipose fish is removed it's because there is a tag in the nose. Turn it in at a depot so the data can be added to the study.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Lower River condition this afternoon. Good luck to those who are fishing tomorrow before work starts again on Tuesday.

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal

Thanks Chris & Ralph for info! I kept (and froze) the head so will turn in.

243Pete

Brrr! Water was super chilly this morning! wear some extra layers folks! ;)
Conditions were perfect this AM, a little bit of color in the water but vis was awesome.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

was out at 6am on the lower. chilly with a bit of wind before sun came up. Water was clean and clear and level is starting to get lower. caught 2 coho 10lb plus and 15lb spring on croc lures. All males. Off the river around 9am and it gradually warmed up.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Certainly was cool will have a journal up tomorrow morning on today's trip.

bobby b

Was there yesterday, had so many fish on.... A few big springs to hand and a couple of jacks.
The big springs are one helluva battle but the highlights for me were some of the Coho fights that i had....OMG...some of the Coho I lost were absolutely HUGE!!  Just completely in awe of the power and frantic pull of these fish.

Managed to get a keeper hatchery, the other ones that I managed to land were wild ....lost so many mid fight.

Wish I didn't have to work today as I am sure it was another stellar day on the river.

This is only my second season fishing for salmon in the river(s). And yesterday was one of the best days I have had...the fishing was great but I gotta say though.... yesterday was also one of the most crowded days I have seen on the river...I was half expecting a combat fishing gong show but quite the opposite happened....I encountered some of the most friendly, courteous and helpful people at every spot I fished at, making it a truly pleasant day indeed!! 

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

fished mid river from first light to 10. Water was a bit lower than last week and it was gene clear. Very cold morning and was definitely feeling like the steelhead season already. Roe only worked at first light and after 8 it was only lures that attracted some fish. Managed to hook 4 fish, landed 2 wild and 1 dark chinook. So far, the wild to hatchery ratio for me has been 2:1 and the wild fish are definitely looking healthier and bigger. With the rain forecast, river can be a toast for the next few days. Time to slowly shift to the northern Fraser flows...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:59:38 PM by RainbowMan »

243Pete

Tuesday was good again, water was more clear and I used only a little bit of roe and was rewarded with a nice hatchery coho buck. An hour after first light I switched to my Frankenstein jig and hooked into more chum and a few more coho, the coho this year are BIG and love to give awesome aerial shows. ;) Glad to see more wild fish coming in vs last year and the small fish that seemed to be everywhere. :o

Hopefully the weather man is wrong and we only get a medium down pour of rain and nothing that will wash away any of the spawned salmon eggs and change the river again.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I donot think it has rained too much yet overnight so still should be in for a bit this morning