Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 256304 times)

PeeLee

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »

Relatively new to fishing myself, but thinking of heading to Burnaby Foreshore Park or the Fraser Middle Arm this weekend to try for a pink. 
Would I have better luck if I
A) went fishing at dawn
or
B) went fishing with the incoming tide, 5 pm ish on this coming Saturday and Sunday?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:55 AM »

Relatively new to fishing myself, but thinking of heading to Burnaby Foreshore Park or the Fraser Middle Arm this weekend to try for a pink. 
Would I have better luck if I
A) went fishing at dawn
or
B) went fishing with the incoming tide, 5 pm ish on this coming Saturday and Sunday?

Tide timing is more important than time of day.
Not all those who wander are lost

oldkawi

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »

patience, the fish are stacked at the mouth and building, they should start pushing soon. I remember last pink run we camped on the river leading up to the long weekend and caught 100's of pinks. They will be pushing up river thick within a week.

Very good point Mikeyman!!  Patience after all is one of the very important components or our favourite activity!! Your right in 09 the long weekend was the most productive time and then it tapered off but we were still catching them up to two weeks after that.  Of course every run is different with the changing conditions so all we can do is put in the time, relax and be ready!! Good fishing to all. 

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »

Haney docks are starting to get crowded most days. Especially after 4 or 5pm when guys stop by after work. Averaging about 1 pink per fisherman for every 3 or 4 hours fished from that spot, based upon my observations.

During the height of the run in '09 it averaged about 1 pink per fisherman every 30-45 minutes. So we're still waiting for the big push.

coho65

« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »

i wouldnt be suprised to see a big push of pinks come through when it rains and water temp changes.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »

Was out for 3 or so hours west of Alex Fraser. Saw MANY jumpers. No fins that I saw, but a LOT of jumping. Lots towards the middle of the river, and probably 5 or so within 50 feet of shore. Was about 4-5 other people over that time that stopped in and no one caught anything but rocks. I was the only one who didnt lose a lure! First time yet I think.

Did happen to witness some disgusting behavior. Bombay SE Resturant located in Scottsdale (There is also one in Poco, different business) had a van stop where I was. A woman threw a plastic bag into the river, then got back into the van and they sped off. I only caught the sploosh and her getting back in the van, and was a little shocked. I asked my girlfriend if that ACTUALLY just happened. I googled them and got their number. I spoke to a lady and asked if they had a delivery van. She said yes. I then told her what I saw, and she asked how I knew it was them. I asked her if they had a brown van with a circular logo on it that said Bombay, and she said yes. I... kindly and tactfully (Read: Not true at all) asked her to let whoever drives the van know that they are a piece of **** and you cannot go around tossing your trash in the river, and that next time I see them my camera will be out, video will be taken and the cops will be notified.

Now I dont know the legalities of it or who I would have to go through, but I was prepared to return their package to them on their van. But then my girlfriend reminded me Im not 16 anymore. :(
Good for you taking the trouble to do something about that.  That kind of behavior really P**s me off too.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »

Haney docks are starting to get crowded most days. Especially after 4 or 5pm when guys stop by after work. Averaging about 1 pink per fisherman for every 3 or 4 hours fished from that spot, based upon my observations.

During the height of the run in '09 it averaged about 1 pink per fisherman every 30-45 minutes. So we're still waiting for the big push.
Nothing like a pint of Guiness at the Billy Minor eh.  Its real good in the morning early before work, at least on the last run.

noobfisher

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »

Good for you taking the trouble to do something about that.  That kind of behavior really P**s me off too.

Second that ... good on you.  I make it a point to pick up any garbage around me so that the area is cleaner than when I arrived.  Some of us anglers are guilty of leaving a lot of garbage around ... ie I picked up a left over spool of leader, plastic and a couple of beer cans yesterday .... I mean really, how hard is it to bring out your garbage and throw it into the trash?  But to throw a plastic bag full of whatever garbage it was ... that is ridiculous!

killer fisher

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2011, 02:47:18 PM »

anyone have any luck today?

Steelie1030

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

Was out at Riverside Park at the foot of Byrne road today for my lunch hour..didn't fish and didn't see anyone fishing but did see one jumper over against the logs in the hour I was there.

tfishy

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2011/Announcement17.pdf   

seine opening at the mouth of the fraser starting this saturday untill tuesday and gillnet opening on tuesday,  this might put a delay in catching dem pinks even though these openings are for sockeye.

killer fisher

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »

ima try for sunday, c if anything happens then

1stlite

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

Been out 3 times since last week and haven't had much luck. Have seen some fish pass thru in the lower Fraser but no biters for me. Going to try various spots throughout Richmond this weekend. Hoping to find some schools passing thru that are biters. I'm hoping.

noobfisher

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »

Seems like my experience has been the same as well ... been out four days ... Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday this week ... tossed a lot of spoons, seen some fish out in the middle of the fraser jumping but no bites yet.  Lost at least four spoons as well in the rocks ...  :(

fish_on

« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

The Pinks must have shot by in the open, higher lower Fraser waters; as other postings indicate Pinks are being caught at Hope area?? any theory on this?