Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rods for sturgeon fishing?  (Read 12334 times)

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
rods for sturgeon fishing?
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:51:26 AM »

Hey guys........... I'm coming over to van, I'm going fishing with a friend of mine and we're going sturgeon fishing on his jet boat. He has one rod and I'm thinking of buying a rod to compliment my Shimano Stella 16,000 series.

My question is do you guys know some home pages or links that sell rods in Van and how much do they cost?

I'm thinking of bringing the rod back so I can jig with it for tuna. Do you think the rod would be ok for jigging 3/5 ounce jigs in a vertical position from a boat? Just how stiff are these rods?

here's a link to a hook company I use...... you can see what I'm talking about from the pics in this site.

http://www.shout-net.com/

Nigelman

wooly

Re: rods for sturgeon fishing?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:12:38 AM »

myself i use trophy xl 8 foot sturgeon king with penn 320gt reel and 100lb tuffline

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 10:55:29 AM »

The rod needs a fairly soft tip to detect the Sturgeon slurping on the bait and I don't know that model.
Both Seeker and St. Croix have some great models for Sturgie.
If you want to talk Sturgeon rods email Calvin Higano @ http://www.nikkaindustries.com.
Explain that you're in Japan and what you need-they do a certain amount of business with Japanese suppliers so understand that you can't always just pick up the phone to yak.
Either Calvin or Wayne-both of whom are founders of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society-will be able to help you.
http://www.rickhansen.com/Fishing/Fraser/fraser.htm
The page is old and needs updating but the tagging programme is ongoing and very active both Calvin and Wayne are out weekly doing Sturgeon tagging.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 01:16:25 PM by Sam Salmon »

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 12:14:06 PM »

Nigel, i know the stella is a great reel, lots of stopping power but i don't think it too suitable for sturgeon fishing.  You better off with a light levelwind trolling reel- Shimano TLD 20, penn 320, 330 GTI would be perfect.  As for the rod, like Sam were saying, soft tip but strong butt. You want something that you can detect light bite but strong enough to lift the fish. 

Nigel, where would you be jigging tuna in Vancouver??

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 01:36:28 PM »

Ah!
I see I missed the reference to the coffee grinder.
You won't find a Spinning Rod for sale here that has the power you need.
We use conventional reels and Tuna rods for the most part.I know the guys on this site http://www.caranx.net/forums/index.php?s=782df246c70eec369de269f11c484111&act=SC&c=3 talk about heavy Spinning rods all the time maybe they can point you toward a source closer to home.
Or maybe you could just borrow a rod/reel off one of the guys here while you're in town.
Buying one of those speciality Spinning rods from a site in the USA-having it shipped to Blaine WA and then crossing the border/paying just GST/PST is also an option.
You wouldn't be paying in Yen and the US dollar is in the toilet so things are significantly cheaper there now.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 02:20:12 PM »

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE 11 FOOT UGLY STICK ! GO BIG OR GO HOME ! TROPHY XL HAS A GOOD STURGEON ROD OUT ASWELL IF U R FISHING OUT OF A BOAT !

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 06:26:06 PM »

Sam thanks for that forum site. I'll be replying to one topic in particlular.

http://www.caranx.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=554

I'm planning on doing the tuna fishing in Japan but thought maybe if I buy the sturgeon rod in Van I could use it in Japan when I return. I think what I'll do is check them out first when I go to the store and see how they feel.

I'll try Nikkai, Fred's and ????? any suggestions to stores that are good to buy from?

If I was to buy a jigging rod I'd have to say the rods in Japan are probably best because they spealize in rods for this game. I might pay big money for it but it's worth it because you're dealing in big game fishing.

Steelhead king do you guys ever get Japanese anglers who want to jig their lures for salmon?

Yeah i know the Shimano Stella is good but I guess for Mr.Sturgeon they're not really meant for that type of fishing eh? Unfortunally the only bait caster I have is a calcutta 400 and I don't think that'll be good for a monster fish. I think I'll try my 16,000 series and take my chances because I'm going sturgeon fishing once while I'm back home.

Thanks for all your input boys!

Nigelman

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 07:04:36 PM »

Nigel, i totally think you should buy your rod in Japan. Yes, you might get a rod that is cheaper in here but nothing compare to what you can get in Japan.  As for your 16000 stella, It will be ok if you going to barfish for Sturgeon. but again for boat use levelwind is way better. 

I think this year, we only got 4 Japanese guest, thats all they do is cut-plugging and bottom fishing for cod. But i myself gonna try some of those GT/ yellowfin jigs for Halibut and lingcod, it should be pretty deadly.

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 07:24:22 PM »

if you need some plz just ask and I'll send some over for you with some assistant hooks. I must say they're not cheap at $10 bucks a jig but hey we're all rich right? haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah I'll go to Fred's I'm sure they'll have the best selection.

Nigelman ;D

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 04:05:21 AM by fisherkingnigel »

apprentice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »

I'll try Nikkai, Fred's and ????? any suggestions to stores that are good to buy from?

Try the new store in burnaby.  They've been known to give good deals to FWR members.  Tell them who you are and that your one of the mods with FWR,  that should get you a really good price.  I think the name of the store is the Royal Sportsman.  Other members here I'm sure can confirm this. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 02:09:50 AM »

Tell them who you are and that your one of the mods with FWR,  that should get you a really good price.   

But don't use that title anywhere else, you might get stoned to death. ;)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 10:44:20 AM »

I reiterate  don't expect to find a Spinning Rod suitable for both Sturgeon and jigging Yellowfin anywhere here.
Places like Fred's sell Ugly Sticks and the like-all 2 piece for Bar fishing and they are far too long for jigging or pressuring a decent sized Sturgeon.
And that you see is the important part-fish must be pressured and the longer the rod the more pull he has on you and the harder it is for you to pressure him.
Fine if you're playing around with Salmon but the pits when trying to C&R a Sturgeon and forget trying to move a 40 kg YFT-it ain't gonna happen.
That's why no one here uses Spinning gear for Sturgeon-the tackle on offer isn't anywhere near suitable.

Further to jigs for Bottomfish-in the past I've been asked about this by an Australian manufacturer of those Knife Jigs and the like.The simple truth is that no such expensive units are needed.Bottomfish here are dumb as a sack of hammers and so easy to catch it's stupid.
All that's need to catch Bottomfish here is a lead weight of a suitable size-say 2 to 16 ounces, a hoochie of a suitable colour  to slip over top and hooks attached to it somewhere.
Lower it down, bump along bottom and away you go!
Even the most expensive unit shouldn't cost more than a dollar to make and who cares if you lose a few?

Using those Jigs for Salmon is a possibility as long as you jig slowly but most people here troll for Salmon and few Charter operations want to fart around trying to put people on top of bait moving the boat back and forth when they can just put the boat in gear and drag what works.You'd have to carefully negotiate with the Charter about what you wanted to do and how and then watch carefully that you weren't just being ' taken for a ride'.

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 04:06:48 PM »

I spoke to Fred at the last sportsman show and he told me that for the money he recomended the Quantum Big Cat for Stugeon. It is a 7 foot one piece with a great backbone and a very sensitive tip.         
No Nookie Like Chinookie

roeman

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »

Only been sturgeon fishing for 3 years but for the money a 7' big cat with a 320 Pen and 100lb tough line, $200.00 to $250.00. depends where you buy it..   Especially if your taking people out that don't know what they are doing. I have 4 rods and reels, and things are standing up pretty good. 
A $500.00 set up will break just as easy as a $250.00 one..........
Are you fishin or catchin

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 05:04:09 PM »

Sam,

I'm only coming sturgeon fishing for one day with my bud on his jet boat and the only suitable reel I have is a 16,000 series spinnig reel with 100lb braided line. It's used for casting 5-10 ounce lures for GT's and other large fish off boats. I know what you mean about not using spinning reels and using a level wind instead but I'm not going to buy a whole new level reel if I'm only going once. Maybe next time I'll have the proper reel for the game. My friends reel is a level wind so we'll be using that. You know 2 years ago I used a shimano 3000 series and caught a 75lb sturgeon with it?

Does someone wanna rent me their reel for sturgeon fishing? haaaaaaaa haaaaaaa ;D

Nigelman