Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does a rod make you a better angler???  (Read 9410 times)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Does a rod make you a better angler???
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:43:35 PM »

does an expensive rod make you a better angler,???or if you are a good angler,you can fish with a decent cheaper rod..??any thought?????

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
Re: Does a rod make you a better angler???
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 06:58:40 PM »

Well no the rod doesn't make the fisherman. I think that good fish in the toughest conditions with the worst equioment. However when fishing for bigger game like salmon you can not use four a light action trout rod desighned for 2 pound test will not hold. Thats what I think.

Hey Birdman, I lost you after the first sentence!!!!  I realize that you are still young, but do us all a favour and push the "Preview" button and re-read your posts before clicking the "Post" button and take 20 seconds to read what you wrote.

Shane 

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 07:12:06 PM »

DEFINETLY NOT!  I own and use some very expensive rods, and I'm by far the worst fisherman I know!!!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:34:57 PM »

It's not the rod that matters, it's how you use it...

But on a more serious note, my dad uses the "cheaper" and older gear, and catches fish on it, and is very happy using what he has, I, on the other hand, personally like the feel of a "well made" rod, these rods are often quite a bit more expensive, but I feel it's money well spent.

My favourite quote from my dad about gear is "I look at my gear and look like a poor relative fishing next to you..."

IMHO, the quality of the rod rests in how you use it, if you don't give line to a running fish, and like to crank them up the beach, it doesn't really matter what rod you have, you'll probably snap it, but that's your choice. A quality rod will give you a quality fight, if it's rigged up right and matched properly with the reel.

The rod won't make you a better fisherman, but it could better the experience of the fght, and the day in general. Also, knowing that you have a warrenty on an expensive rod generally eases the stress of not pushing the fish.

I'm not sure if that made much sense, but it's how I view the rod one chooses to fish with.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 07:42:42 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 08:49:28 PM »

it won't matter if you are using a cheap rod or not. wearing a yellow raincoat will though... ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 08:55:36 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D,hi chum man.you do has a good sense of humour :P :P

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 10:01:51 PM »

so fulcrum thats why you have no testys?????
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:41:23 PM »

It's a proven fact that the most expensive fishing tackle makes for a better fisherman. Next time you're on the river take a look around at who is doing the catching and who is doing the fishing. Successful fishermen can be found wearing "name" fishing apparel such as the Patagonia jacket, Sage hats, Simms waders and using Sage rods, Shimano reels, Maxima lines, Gamakatsu hooks.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 02:35:48 PM »

I have to agree that to a certain extent, better gear means better fisherman. Case in point: my success with actually landing springs in the Fraser increased exponentially when I started using a 12' Sage 4120 and an Abu C5 reel. Before that, more often than not, those brutes would just get away.
I think the same goes for fly rods and lines and many other items.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 02:59:01 PM »

Does a better driver allow you to hit the golf ball farther.  Yes.  But in my case it goes further in the bush.  Spend all you like, but you will need better skills to justify the better equipment.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 07:36:31 PM »

haha birdman. Whats school for! ;D ???
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 08:02:14 PM »

hi grumman...so far you are the most honest and down to earth.you are the only one who knows what i am talking about,.doesnt matter what you use,is the skill more than the brand name......it is not the brand name that will land you a fish,you need skill and knowledge first ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 01:06:53 AM »

I agree with Grumman whole-heartedly.  A good rod cannot help you locate fish, good fishing skills such as reading water, walking the river trying different spots will more likely do that.  A good rod fishing empty water will produce nothing, whereas a so so rod fishing productive water will.

But once you hook a fish, then a good rod will give you better landing ratio due to better hook set (more rod strength) for the same force, and better fish control.  Also, a new fisherman is more likely to snap the rod than a seasoned rod.  Quite often, the rod is damaged not by fish, but by careless handling due to inexperience. One of my apprentice partners stepped on his rod, another closed the trunk with the rod tip still hanging out, Ouch!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 08:12:28 AM »

What did I win? ;D

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 09:13:28 AM »

It depends.  At our place in Mexico I've pretty much given up using a rod at all and do what the local guys I fish with do:  use a third world spinning outfit, which is a plastic bottle with about 75 feet of nylon line wrapped around it.  Sinkers and hooks go inside the bottle, and the whole thing fits in a side pocket on the pack I keep ready to go fishing.  I felt kind of out of place flailing the river with my Fenwick while these guys were catching more fish than I was.