Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How come you never see bait or float fishing in estuaries?  (Read 5190 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
How come you never see bait or float fishing in estuaries?
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »

Everyone I've seen has been using flies or lures. Is there a reason why no one does it? Well, I guess there must be, but what is it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: How come you never see bait or float fishing in estuaries?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

Not the best way to make friends when other fishermen are casting lures and flies nearby

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »

I guess the moving water would cause your float to cross peoples' space. That makes sense.

Let's say you hypothetically have the place to yourself. Is there any reason fish wise not to do it? Would the fish be likely to take interest?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »

The biggest problem I have experienced is that estuaries are generally full of small fish like sculpins that will constantly steal your bait. 

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »

Can that be mitigated by using different hook sizes?

hrenya

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »

Not the best way to make friends when other fishermen are casting lures and flies nearby

never had a problem with that , I was using jig under a float with fly guy on one side and lure casting guy on another , and a bunch of ppl casting gear from the other side torwards us . Its just a matter of common sense when to cast , how long let it drift for and when to get your gear out of the way .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »

never had a problem with that , I was using jig under a float with fly guy on one side and lure casting guy on another , and a bunch of ppl casting gear from the other side torwards us . Its just a matter of common sense when to cast , how long let it drift for and when to get your gear out of the way .

It can work IF people around you use common sense and courtesy. Unfortunately, there are many who don't know or practice common sense. I've seen people casting upstream/downstream crossing other people's lines, casting over your line when you're fighting a fish.......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »

I float fish in the estuary... but I also don't have any friends, so this hasn't been an issue for me.

The estuary is an area where salmon (we're talking about salmon right?) transition from salt to fresh. Depending on which part of the estuary you are referring to, the fish can either be feeding aggressively, or simply migrating fast up the channel into freshwater.

If they are feeding, chances are they are feeding on baitfish, or crab. These are hard to present under a float. Stripping flies, casting lures are easier methods to get them.

Once they start moving with the tide, they move fast. Take the tidal portion of the Fraser River for example, fish generally do not stop once they start going up the river. Two methods are commonly used to catch them, casting and retrieving lures can intercept them at spots where they slow down. Having bait anchored on the bottom and allowing the outgoing tide to carry the scent down the river draws them in. If the bait is freely drifting with the tide under the float, there's a lesser chance for the fish to find it.

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:02 PM »

Hi Rod,
Not arguing but trying to understand - how is that they would be feeding like you say, but when you rip them open their belly is empty. I obviously haven't checked the stomach content of every single  fish I caught but never seen the content of a marine diet.
 I'm talkin of shore caught fish staging in eatuaries, no boat

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »

Here's a clump of crab larvae from the stomach of a coho salmon caught at the Capilano River mouth. Actually what's in the photo was about 10% of what came out from the stomach.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »

Ew. That's gross.

I find it difficult to believe a man with his own forum has no friends...;)

Mostly what got me thinking was the success of fly guys I've seen recently, which made me wonder if fly and bubble or float and jug could work.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »

I find it difficult to believe a man with his own forum has no friends...;)

I believe him. ;D

hrenya

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »

It can work IF people around you use common sense and courtesy. Unfortunately, there are many who don't know or practice common sense. I've seen people casting upstream/downstream crossing other people's lines, casting over your line when you're fighting a fish.......
maybe avoid spots like that ? :)

Tangles

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:27:49 PM »

It is really tough to find a secluded spot anywhere close to the city now that pretty much everything is closed. It's combat fishing lol, hopefully when Fraser opens for pinks that would aleviate the pressure a bit.

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 06:35:32 PM »

it is hard , but it is still possible , all you need just put in time and explore , and be there early morning . I never get the people , who are coming to the busiest spots on a weekends after 9-10 am , and you can here they complain about many people . what else you expecting if everything else is shutdown ? :D