Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297527 times)

fishtruck

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #750 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

Sorry my bad should read 7am

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #751 on: September 22, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »

Maple Ridge this morning saw a trickle of fish showing all through the incoming but more biting than Ive seen so far.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #752 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »

Some days they work, other days they don't.

I think this has to do with how deep the main school of fish run on a certain day. Perhaps the water clarity or tidal current speed or water temperature or even the origin of the school of pink can affect this depth preference. Buzz bombs particularly the larger ones are heavy and so they stay deeper during retrieve. Unweighted spoons are lighter and stay higher during retrieve. Spinners fished with pencil lead will depend on how much lead you use. Changing up is the key. To illustrate, I was once at Sapperton Pier. It was my first trip ever there so I don't know what level the fish like to travel. I fished with 2" hot pink BB which used to kill them else where. I didn't hit anything for a while but the guy next to me hit two fish since my arrival. He was using an unweighted spoon, too big for my liking. He looks to be a greenie too as he pulled too hard and lost both fish. Talking to him and advising him how to play a fish, he told me he actually hit 3 more fish earlier and lost all 5 fish. Well, that gave me the clue - the fish probably stayed near the surface on that day. Watching him cast and retrieve without hesitation gave me more confirmation that his big spoon was close to the surface. So I changed up to a small pink Croc spoon and casted. Bang. Observing and adjusting made the difference for me that day.

finishingwithian

« Reply #753 on: September 22, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

I think this has to do with how deep the main school of fish run on a certain day. Perhaps the water clarity or tidal current speed or water temperature or even the origin of the school of pink can affect this depth preference. Buzz bombs particularly the larger ones are heavy and so they stay deeper during retrieve. Unweighted spoons are lighter and stay higher during retrieve. Spinners fished with pencil lead will depend on how much lead you use. Changing up is the key. To illustrate, I was once at Sapperton Pier. It was my first trip ever there so I don't know what level the fish like to travel. I fished with 2" hot pink BB which used to kill them else where. I didn't hit anything for a while but the guy next to me hit two fish since my arrival. He was using an unweighted spoon, too big for my liking. He looks to be a greenie too as he pulled too hard and lost both fish. Talking to him and advising him how to play a fish, he told me he actually hit 3 more fish earlier and lost all 5 fish. Well, that gave me the clue - the fish probably stayed near the surface on that day. Watching him cast and retrieve without hesitation gave me more confirmation that his big spoon was close to the surface. So I changed up to a small pink Croc spoon and casted. Bang. Observing and adjusting made the difference for me that day.

Thanks for your post liketofish.

This is my first season for Salmon and I had zero hooked at South Arm. Man this is very frustrating as I have used all kinds of lures, spinner, BB, spoons, you name it. No luck at all but watching others to land fish. Seeing the light at the end of tunnel after reading your post. Thanks again!

finishingwithian

« Reply #754 on: September 22, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »

If Buzz Bombs and spoons don't seem to work, I recommend using spinners.

One really has to try a variety of lures with different retrieve speeds.

For me, I discovered that pinks like to hit lures close to the shore, so there's no need to stand way out in the pier and cast another 50 or more feet.

Good point!

bbwong

« Reply #755 on: September 22, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

I have been fishing for pinks many years and I would say BB works better if you fish from a boat. Spoon and spinner work better from the shore. I keep hearing people complain about spoon and spinner are TOO light for casting. It is because the rod, reel and line combination are wrong. I even saw a guy using a 2oz sinkker above his spoon. I'll stay far away from those guys using heavy stuff, imagine the kids keep throwing rocks into the water when you are fishing. :'( :'(

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #756 on: September 22, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »

I have been fishing for pinks many years and I would say BB works better if you fish from a boat. Spoon and spinner work better from the shore. I keep hearing people complain about spoon and spinner are TOO light for casting. It is because the rod, reel and line combination are wrong. I even saw a guy using a 2oz sinkker above his spoon. I'll stay far away from those guys using heavy stuff, imagine the kids keep throwing rocks into the water when you are fishing. :'( :'(

Agreed. I set my kids' rods up with small croc spoons and I can cast those as far as I see anyone else tossing other hardware.  These are inexpensive small light action Shakespeare Mantis rods they got at a past Fish for the Future event. You also need to know how to cast too, allowing the spoon or spinner to load the rod so it whips the weight out better. If the rod is too stiff, even a heavy BB is not going to load the rod and so it wont go far anyway.
Not all those who wander are lost

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #757 on: September 22, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »

I also like to point my rod downwards when I retrieve my lure, as it gets the lure deeper in the water where the fish are usually swimming.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #758 on: September 22, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

I agree, and that includes Zzingers too. My first time fishing with a Zzinger on a boat a a kid, I caught a ton of fish. I actually outfished all the adults! I discovered that Zzingers and slower sinking Buzz Bombs work better when they're fished with heavy thick line, like heavy mono, 20lbs and over, say for a 3.5 inch lure. I just find that these new thin braids might be too thin, as a result a lure such as a Zzinger falls down way too fast like a housefly hovering over dog poop. So fast that fish might have a hard time strike the lure.  I have to say Buzz Bombs and Zzingers are killer when slowly trolled with a rod lifting and lowering type of presentation for all saltwater predatory fish!

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #759 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »

I just finish eating a small portion of a grey coloured pink salmon that I caught yesterday. It tasted very similar to carp, however the flesh on the pink salmon had a more coarse texture.

Compared to sockeye salmon which I gave a 5/5 for eating, the river run pink salmon is a 2/5 for me.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #760 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »

Today New West area seems to fish better on the outgoing tide instead of the incoming tide.  I had a bad landing ratio today.   Hooked 8 but landed only one due to me fighting to set my drag properly. Too loose and then too tight.  Lots of people were catching.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #761 on: September 22, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »

Today New West area seems to fish better on the outgoing tide instead of the incoming tide.  I had a bad landing ratio today.   Hooked 8 but landed only one due to me fighting to set my drag properly. Too loose and then too tight.  Lots of people were catching.

Where in New West did you fish?

I always set my drag moderately tight while fishing, and I loosen it up when I'm playing the fish.

RiverRunner

« Reply #762 on: September 22, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

I just finish eating a small portion of a grey coloured pink salmon that I caught yesterday. It tasted very similar to carp, however the flesh on the pink salmon had a more coarse texture.

Compared to sockeye salmon which I gave a 5/5 for eating, the river run pink salmon is a 2/5 for me.

I would compare pink salmon to cat food. Its only half decent smoked ;D

penguinabc123

« Reply #763 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »

Delta side from about 3-530. It seemed like everybody except me was into fish, lost track of how many. I didn't have a BB so I guess I loose. Looks like the run isn't quite don't yet tho

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #764 on: September 22, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »

I just finish eating a small portion of a grey coloured pink salmon that I caught yesterday. It tasted very similar to carp

Geez, and here I though salmon tasted like salmon, Carp ?? C'mon man !!