Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297536 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #585 on: September 16, 2013, 12:40:26 AM »

On the strong incoming tides the salmon head up river and don't feed only defend there spawning grounds so the bites are more random out of aggression.

There are no spawning grounds in the Tidal Fraser River...

The Tidal Fraser River is a large travelling corridor. When the tide starts going out, fish travelling in the middle will indeed head downstream with the current, but they often circle around and travel more closely to shore to head upstream again.

The water is in the Tidal Fraser River is a mixture of fresh and salt. Under this condition, returning salmon go through a change in osmoregulation. Before transforming completely back into a freshwater organism, feeding still occurs. Once awhile, on very rare occasions, I have seen pink salmon chasing baitfish on the surface when fishing in the Tidal Fraser River.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #586 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »

I have read that in the tidal Columbia River, Chinooks would ride the tide a number of times before heading up river. How many times they ride the tides depends on how far they need to travel up river. Lower tributary ones could ride the tides up to ten times whereas upper river brights will shoot up after riding the tide only a couple of times. Maybe something similar could be happening with Fraser River salmon species. Just my speculation. 

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #587 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »

My thoughts as well. If it was barbless I would imagine that it should come out fairly easy.

X2. I don't have much sympathy for guys fishing with barbs either.
Likely a newbie with a lesson he will not forget anytime soon.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #588 on: September 16, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »

Anyone knows if there's any commercial fisheries going on this week?

tfishy

« Reply #589 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »

Open daily until further notice starting yesterday from 6am-9pm

SteelHunter

« Reply #590 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »

Open daily until further notice starting yesterday from 6am-9pm

Yup i saw lots of boats out netting yesterday but the numbers of fish seem to be getting greater everyday . More hookups on outgoing tide .
There are no spawning grounds in the Tidal Fraser River...

The Tidal Fraser River is a large travelling corridor. When the tide starts going out, fish travelling in the middle will indeed head downstream with the current, but they often circle around and travel more closely to shore to head upstream again.

The water is in the Tidal Fraser River is a mixture of fresh and salt. Under this condition, returning salmon go through a change in osmoregulation. Before transforming completely back into a freshwater organism, feeding still occurs. Once awhile, on very rare occasions, I have seen pink salmon chasing baitfish on the surface when fishing in the Tidal Fraser River.

And rod i meant that on the way up they act out of aggression cause there heading to there spawning grounds . The bites are very light usually as they are just tapping it but when the tide is outgoing i notice they try to swallow it deep hooksets , didnt really even have to set the hook

The main reason you catch more fish during the outgoing tide is because during that tide salmon move close to shore where there is less current. For this reason more fish are in reach of your casts.

That does make sense but there is still pretty strong current close to shore. I would have to cast way up stream just so my spoon would end up infront of me thats when i get most fish on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:18:57 AM by SteelHunter »

bbwong

« Reply #591 on: September 16, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

Oh! I get it now, the commercial boats scared the fishes swim closer to the shore then we can get them easier. ;D ;D ;D

SteelHunter

« Reply #592 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »

Richmond's on FIRE for us lucky ones i guess  :-\ ! Heading out to south arm again today , keep your retrieve slow and use a 3/8 croc . been slaying it there last 2 days  8)

Tight lines

anorden

« Reply #593 on: September 16, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »

Richmond's on FIRE for us lucky ones i guess  :-\ ! Heading out to south arm again today , keep your retrieve slow and use a 3/8 croc . been slaying it there last 2 days  8)

Tight lines

By slaying it I assume you mean hooking 1-2 fish in a session?? Cos yday I didn't see anyone taking home more than 1 fish, most had zero.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #594 on: September 16, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »

Had a friend do just that yesterday and was getting no hits , got him to change to a hot 2" pink buzz bomb speed up his retrieve a touch and he started slamming them, all 3 of us did, both work at times swap out if one is not working , guys in my area took home 20 fish

SteelHunter

« Reply #595 on: September 16, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »

By slaying it I assume you mean hooking 1-2 fish in a session?? Cos yday I didn't see anyone taking home more than 1 fish, most had zero.

lol more than 1-2 hookups,  more like 2 hookups back to back within 2min of each other already landed 3 fish plus lost 5. When i first got the the spot i had so many missed bites. that was just within a couple hours of acutally fishing . I guess only the lucky ones and yes once i switched to buzz bomb thats when i got 2 back to back and lost 5 lol wierd ehh? also let go a male cause didnt like the hump .

tight lines  8) i already said to much  :-X

Yvrsilver

« Reply #596 on: September 16, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »

Na the guy beside me and I were having a race to limit out , took home 3 lost a few

robbyvanz

« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

show some pics of your catch

Yvrsilver

« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

robbyvanz just remember when you are fishing 5 road , there is 5 more miles of 100+ lines the fish need to get past before they see you guys , hope that helps , coffee is made off to get my honey hole , 3pm to 6pm look for the bite good luck all

SteelHunter

« Reply #599 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »