Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drennan Floats  (Read 7338 times)

ColinB

Drennan Floats
« on: October 07, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »

Drennan floats seem to pop up fairly often on here and cost seems to crop up along with them.
Over here a 24g Zeppler is £2.50 which I believe translates to about $5.60 so somewhere along the line at $7.00 someone is making a whole $1.40 extra. Could import duty or Post and Package have something to do with the difference?

I might just be persuaded to bring a few over with me in a couple of weeks time, trouble is the airfare is getting on for $800 so I doubt if I could smuggle them onboard.  Might bring a few though!

Colin

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Drennan Floats
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

Are you a resident of the Uk. I lived there for 5 years and moving back in a year or so. Wana know how the fishing is up there since i never fished when i lived there. Father jack was the best too bad the show had to end on such a sad note. :(
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 04:09:25 PM by Floater »
[

ColinB

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 01:49:18 AM »

Hi Hloater,

All depends on where you are going to be based as to how good the fishing is.  and of course what species you will hope to catch.
Carp is the biggest target fish here so there are plenty of Carp lakes.
Salmon are nowhere near as profilic as in BC, sea fishing isn't the best as the seas are rapidly being raped by european fishing fleets.  If I were you I'd stay in BC>

Colin

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 05:07:42 PM »

I am not 100% sure where Drennans are manufactured, but duty and freight could be the difference in price. Also, quantities that are purchased may reflect cost differences (eg Canadian Tire vs. Joe Blows Sport Shop).

ColinB

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 05:16:49 PM »

Drennan is a UK company.  Peter Drennan UK Specailist angler of some repute started the company probably 30 years ago, still running it today.
Goods are probably made in the UK, hence the high price.

Colin

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:19:39 PM »

Then the difference in price is definately in the shipping and duty costs.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 05:47:42 PM »

Colin i would love to stay in BC and fish till i die but too complicated. :P Im gona to be moving to london but how is the pike fishing in the uk and scotland overal cuz i will go anywhere for the weekends. Also i know the slamon fishing isant anywhere near as good as BC but how rare is it to catch a salmon. Are we talking steelhead fish of a thousands casts? or coho on the vedder?
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 05:55:24 PM »

For some coho is a fish of a thousand casts as well. ;D ::)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 07:00:04 PM »

Like the one in your pic? lol
[

ColinB

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 02:28:46 AM »

Floater,
Pike fishing is after Trout fishing my main quarry, sadly the numbers of pike seem to be declining.  They are under massive pressure as Pike fishing is probably at its most popular right now.  Many people blame the decline in our pike stocks on the influx of Eastern European immigrants who it seems supplement their diet with our pike stocks.  Certainly there is some evidence of this in the area around Cambridge. 
Salmon of a thousand casts and probably more is a good description of my fishing.  I have to travel a long way to Salmon fish and then everything is so dependent on conditions etc.  I simply don't bother anymore.  There are others whose life depends on catching salmon and spend a fortune on it and probably catch loads of fish.
Myself? I would rather spend a couple of thousand pounds on coming to BC for a week each year and almost guaranteeing a fish or three.  I spend quite a bit of time in Ireland and the fishing there is in decline both for salmon [drift netting problems and not sticking to quotas or seasons] and Pike.  The Pike are being gillnetted on the Great Western lakes by the Fisheries boards to preserve[?] the brown trout fisheries.  It's a real mess over there.
Luckily I have 4 reservoirs fairly close to my home and they are stocked with Rainbows so I do have good fishing almost on my doorstep.
I must admit to using Drennan floats to fish for Pike
Colin

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 02:38:40 AM »

It sounds grim. When i lived in the UK i thought msot lakes and rivers were catch and release. I see the european people have been giving the rest of us a bad name there. My perants are from europe but i havent spent all my life in the uk and canada and do not share their views of going fishing to survive. I hope there is still some fish left when i get there but not a big fan of course fishing i prefer river fishing for salmon or trout. So you say even see charters are bad for salmon? i was hoping to atleast get out every year for some killer salmon fishing with the scots.
[

ColinB

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 11:49:33 AM »

As UK comedian Paul Whitehouse said after landing 15 Atlantic salmon in a few hours on the Kola Peninsular [North Russia] "This isn't real Salmon fishing, real Salmon fishing is in Scotland, where you don't catch anything!"

Colin

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 12:50:39 PM »

Damn looks like im gona be saving money every year to either go alaska, BC or kamchatka.
[

Gillie

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:58:30 PM »

I picked soem uo the other day at freds and didn't get float stops going to have to make another stop for them I guess

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 11:08:05 PM »

Yah i didnt even know about that till i got home but lucky i got some from way back in the day lol.
[