Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the Vedder  (Read 1633 times)

matrix111

Fishing the Vedder
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »

I am going to Vedder this Friday (Aug 14) I am just wondering if there's pinks or coho or springs on the river right now or is it few weeks too early? It is quite a drive for me so I just want to be prepared on what gear or bait to bring. Thanks

Apennock

Re: Fishing the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »

It's the tail end of the season for Red Springs right now but I've heard of guys still catching them in the upper river.  Still another couple of weeks before the pinks are there in significant numbers but supposedly guys are seeing them already.  With that said there are still a good number of trout if you're just looking to get some fish on.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »

It's pretty much too late for the Red chinook now, although after the rain on Friday you MIGHT get lucky.

Everything else is pretty much too early still, although again, you might get lucky and see a couple different fish after we get some rain that is forecast.

If you're set on going, I would recommend using a fly rod with a cased caddis nymph. Lots of whitefish around that can provide some good action, and the occasional large resident rainbow.

farky

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »

Couple of weeks for pinks , coho start to trickle in mid September , with the white springs as well as chum first couple weeks of October. It is pretty much the tail end of the red spring run most fish are above the crossing now and becoming colored, however you might get a chromer in the lower river with the low water conditions best bet is first light until the sun is on the water. Probably would be better off to bar fish the Fraser for springs at the moment.