Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging on the Cap  (Read 9261 times)

nevertoolate

Snagging on the Cap
« on: August 09, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »

Very disturbing experience the other day watching a guy across from me on the east bank of the cap snagging fish.  Threw in his hooked  line and then  violently ripped it back until he  got one.   He caught two that way and then left.  Anyone else see him?  The image of it is still in my memory.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Snagging on the Cap
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

Boo:(

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »

Very disturbing experience the other day watching a guy across from me on the east bank of the cap snagging fish.  Threw in his hooked  line and then  violently ripped it back until he  got one.   He caught two that way and then left.  Anyone else see him?  The image of it is still in my memory.
Did you report the goof to the DFO? That's what I would've done.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »

Best to let the DFO do their job.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:25:10 PM by Nicolas The Fisherman »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »

On the Native reserve land at the River mouth?

TimL

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »

Yes...saw a few of the FN guys doing the same thing back in mid July. They were pretty much the only ones landing fish that morning (at times not in the mouth)..most of us recreational people on our side of the bank weren't getting anything. I heard that although what they're doing is illegal, DFO just keeps a blind eye to it..the reason could be political but that's just speculation on my part.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »

As others said, it is natives harvesting.
From what I have seen they avoid tangling with anglers on the west shore and don't toss their rigs at boats that wander into the mouth.
Just try to enjoy your day.

Tangles

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:30:05 AM »

Yeah, they have obviously done it for many years now. Funny enough it was because of them I caught my last coho at the cap. I was cursing my luck and getting pissed while they were dragging them out until suddenly one of the snaggers starts shouting at me "there there" and pointing at a piece of water he could not reach, so I turn around, cast and boom - fish on!  :o  8)

StillAqua

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:36:56 AM »

The Squamish Band members aren't "recreational fisherman" or "snaggers". They are harvesting salmon on their reserve lands because it is their constitutional right and they were doing it on the Cap for thousands of years before Capts Cook and Vancouver sailed into the harbour in the late 1700's and visited their huge palisaded village at the mouth. You can't expect them to use the same legal sport fishing techniques as you to harvest their fish because they aren't sport fishing. They can pretty much harvest their allotment any way they want (weirs, treble hooks, nets, traps) but if you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to fish other than next to their reserve.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »

The Squamish Band members aren't "recreational fisherman" or "snaggers". They are harvesting salmon on their reserve lands because it is their constitutional right and they were doing it on the Cap for thousands of years before Capts Cook and Vancouver sailed into the harbour in the late 1700's and visited their huge palisaded village at the mouth. You can't expect them to use the same legal sport fishing techniques as you to harvest their fish because they aren't sport fishing. They can pretty much harvest their allotment any way they want (weirs, treble hooks, nets, traps) but if you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to fish other than next to their reserve.
I wonder how their fishing would be without sport fisherman money in the system ;)

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »

I wonder how their fishing would be without sport fisherman money in the system ;)
I doubt the Feds would have built such a nice hatchery as the Capilano or continued to fund it for all these decades if it wasn't for the drinking water dam destroying the salmon runs that the Squamish Band relied on in the '60s. Sporties don't have the political or judicial pull First Nations have, so we likely owe them for the hatchery-supported fishery.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »

Fair.
I doubt the Feds would have built such a nice hatchery as the Capilano or continued to fund it for all these decades if it wasn't for the drinking water dam destroying the salmon runs that the Squamish Band relied on in the '60s. Sporties don't have the political or judicial pull First Nations have, so we likely owe them for the hatchery-supported fishery.
Fair point.

doja

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 09:05:40 AM »

Yeah, they have obviously done it for many years now. Funny enough it was because of them I caught my last coho at the cap. I was cursing my luck and getting pissed while they were dragging them out until suddenly one of the snaggers starts shouting at me "there there" and pointing at a piece of water he could not reach, so I turn around, cast and boom - fish on!  :o  8)

Just goes to show there decent people there doing what they are in my opinion entitled to. Having worked in the park there I've chatted with them a few times,  nice people from my experience. Let's not forget  the destruction that the white people have done to this country compared to them.... We're the ones that truly don't deserve the right,  lol.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:59 PM »

Wasn't aware the OP was talking about Native Land. I assumed the OP was talking about the upper portion of the river, and I would certainly notify the DFO if there were snaggers up there, but I wouldn't notify them if it was on the Native Land as the First Nations are really free to fish however which way they want (so they should be). Best to let them do what they want and instead, find another more peaceful spot to fish next time.

Tylsie

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »

If the O/P was discussing a snagger fishing on the Reserve then good for their success. They truly do need those fish and with the weather, and limited return they are having it hard enough. If it was anywhere else on the river the report it to the DFO immediatley. That being said, I think a few people need to brush up on their history

First Nations did not even get the right to vote until 1960. Their political clout during the design and construction of many of the hatcheries in BC was minimal at best. Granted things have changed, and for the better in most circumstances, but not until the late 80's, with no real change until the 1990s. As for Natives not causing as much destruction as "white people," that is simple because they didn't have the resources or the ability. Take the current First Nation sockeye opening. The bands at the mouth are slaying them, but the Band I know around Fort Langley are getting very little. If you move further upstream the Bands are getting even less. There is no regard for others, or how many make it to spawn, just everyone taking as much as they can for themselves. Just like the "white people" mentioned in an earlier post, and pretty much every other group out there. It is human nature, and no one is above it.