Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning Reel- what to buy?  (Read 2884 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Spinning Reel- what to buy?
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:59:55 AM »

I'm shopping for a spinning reel that can take the salt water abuse. I'm going to use it mainly for salmon fishing in the chuck and the occasional fresh water jigging in local rivers. I already have a Trophy 8' 6" medium action Trophy spinning rod and I'd like the new reel to sit nicely on this rod. For a budget of $100-$150 what would  you guys recommend?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning Reel- what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »

well under $100 I like the Penn Fierce for a budget - I've got 2 sizes and ordered extra spools for them (like 10 bucks each I think they were) for quick change of different lines (I use both braid and mono, depending on the what, where and the gut feeling of the day LOL).... stainless bearings and shaft; rated for salt.  I've used one of them for a few years in salt and Fraser, it's my bounce around in the jeep reel and has taken a lot of abuse bouncing off of cliffs and rocks on some of the west facing saltwater and has held up like new with little maintenance (don't say it - I know I should maintain better lol).....

Maybe not the HIGHEST end in that price range, but I don't think that I personally would want a different reel.  They come in many sizes.....

They're on sale on Amazon right now.... example -

I use this one on my 8'6" primarily for casting (usually with 20# suffix 832) and it's a great balance - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frc3000

OR

For a little heavier (and cheaper right now for some reason) http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Fishing-FRC4000-Firece-Spinning/dp/B005MEXZ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439135741&sr=8-1&keywords=penn+fierce

or

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Fierce-Spinning-Fishing-Right/dp/B00531EXCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439136179&sr=8-1&keywords=penn+fierce+frc5000
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:06:39 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »

Shimano Sahara 2500

typhoon

• Old Timer

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

Shimano Sahara 2500

You mentioned this in another post about what spinning reel to buy!  I'm glad I got one last year.  Haven't really used it yet but hope to soon...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »

You mentioned this in another post about what spinning reel to buy!  I'm glad I got one last year.  Haven't really used it yet but hope to soon...

Yeah, I have quite a few of these 2500 size spinning reels. The Sustain I use on my own and it is just a fantastic reel... The Sahara I have a couple for non-fishing friends who wish to try out salmon fishing. They are under $100 each, and can withstand some serious wear and tear. :)

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

Shimano Sahara 2500
Agreed. excellent reel for the money!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 06:16:13 AM »

Thanks guys. Any idea where I can buy this reel from? I checked with my local tackle shop and they don't carry this model and Amazon is selling for over $125.  :-\