Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek tide dependant?  (Read 4015 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Furry Creek tide dependant?
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

Do the tides need to be right at Furry Creek like they do at Ambleside?

Might try to check it out soon...

Apennock

Re: Furry Creek tide dependant?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »

The won't be quite as crucial as they are right down at Ambleside but fishing with the tides will certainly turn the odds in your favour.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »

Not exactly sure what that means, this is my first season at it. Do you mean fish a bit before low tide and then after the tide starts coming back in?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »

Its more of a first light fishery than tide dependent, but first light on outgoing tide is usually non stop action if they are there.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »

Aha, thanks!

Will the Vancouver tide table work, or is there away to calculate Furry Creek based on the Vancouver table? As in, maybe it's 15 minutes ahead or behind Vancouver...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »

TimL

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:23:27 PM »

From my limited personal experience (this is my first season for pinks as well) and asking some of the regulars who fish there often, the action seems to be better at a morning low tide- the last 2 hours or so leading down to low slack followed by the first 2 hours of incoming. Time of day seems to factor in as well but not to the extent as tide does...I've seen fish landed all the way through mid morning.
From my (limited) experience and observations so far:
I was there last weekend on an early morning high followed by an outgoing tide- very few fish caught..mostly none.
Was there this morning on an outgoing low to the first 3 hours of incoming tide- many fish caught.

No such luck for me though so far..got skunked on both trips...I also found that a big part of being successful down there is being  at the precise spot where the fish are feeding and getting your lure far enough to the schools. Hard to do if you have to compete for space with dozens of other anglers on a stretch of beach. Even if you're just a few feet away from the hot spot you're out of luck..

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »

An issue with Furry in the afternoon is the wind, especially if you are fly fishing.
As mentioned a low tide in the morning can be quite productive, but not the be all and end all. Dont discount the evening bite after the wind dies down.