Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wool colours target specific species  (Read 2857 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Wool colours target specific species
« on: August 08, 2015, 02:54:24 PM »

When I used to annually b-bounce for Fraser salmon, I was a firm believer that Springs went after red wool, green wool enticed Sockeye and pink wool was only used every second year for Pinks.

I'm curious how many others believed this or just used this as a general suggestion. I wonder if people still consider coloured wool as a method of targetting specific species.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Wool colours target specific species
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

Please stop.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »

Please stop.

I have stopped - that's why I just posted one of my old bb'ing set-ups for sale. I actually think I'm completely over this whole Fraser River salmon fishing phase in my life. Too much negative pressure against something that I really enjoyed doing. I'm not opposed to the the changes, I agree in theory with more controlled selective species targetting. I also believe in legally catching a limit of two salmon and then count your salmon angling day over - no catch, torture and release in Rivers.  I also believe regulations need to be definitive - not up to interpretation.

Apennock

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:49:56 PM »

I don't think we need to dissolve EVERY post into a witch hunt for staggers.  Wool is worth discussing even if your don't bottom bounce.

Float fishing wool on the Vedder I haven't noticed a huge difference between salmon species with different colors (provided you're somewhere in the realm of red) but I have noticed a lot more trout bi-catch when I've used green or chartreuse (I usually combine them with some shade of pink).

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »

For Vedder Springs I only used red wool for the big brutes or a small pinky nails worth of peach wool for drifting along ripples for 10# or smaller little feeder Springs.

Tylsie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:22:16 AM »

For me it has always seemed that Pink/Red caught Springs, Blue/Chartreuse caught Coho, and Green/Purple/White caught Chum. I usually target specific species so I am sure that plays a role, but even when casting spoons into mixed systems/pools that colour scheme has seemed to hold true. There are always exceptions, but if I know what I want to catch I will use those colours to target them. 

Never really fished for sockeye other than the dreaded meat fishery where colour doesn't matter (It is what it is! I agree it is not sport fishing, but I am also not going to condemn those that partake or deny that I do. If Socks are open I take my two and go home. If they are closed I bar fish, just sucks not being able to have a fire while you wait. End of rant...)

fullahead

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 06:07:34 AM »

Red for sockeye, green for springs, everyone knows that.