Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selective Fishing Thread 2015  (Read 4812 times)

Gone_Fishin_

Selective Fishing Thread 2015
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:09:50 AM »

Figured we should start a thread to help promote selective methods and teach others proper techniques when fishing during a harvest closure. I know everyone on here promotes ethical fishing and techniques, but lots of people come on here for information only. With a thread that can provide fishing techniques, what to use, whats working, locations and Fishing Reports we can hopefully help reduce the amount of people bottom bouncing during a sockeye/harvest closure.

I know some dont like giving away locations, what their using and so forth... but this thread is exactly for that, the better the information or reports we can get out there hopefully the more we can convert over to selective fishing. If someone comes online and sees pictures, locations, gear used and that these methods of fishing work and work better in some cases then maybe we can change
their opinion and next time they go out it will be with a bar rod or some spoons.

Please if everyone can help out, provide some tips, what works for them and Fishing Reports we might just help decrease the amount of people bottom bouncing during a sockeye/harvest closure.

Please no negative comments;

FN0772-Recreational - Salmon - Region 2 - Fraser River; Mission Bridge to Alexandra Bridge
 While fishing for pink, chinook and chum salmon, anglers should avoid using fishing methods that catch sockeye salmon and fish selectively.
 The first principle of selective harvesting is to avoid catching non-targeted stocks. This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye. The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch pink salmon, chinook and chum salmon and rarely intercept sockeye salmon;

Bar Fishing
 Trolling Spoons at creek mouths
 Float Fishing
 Pulling Plugs
 Fly Fishing

We encourage anglers to continue to use these methods to target pink, chinook and chum while avoiding sockeye.

Please note that bottom bouncing is NOT considered a selective fishing method and is strongly discouraged. The department requests that selective fishing techniques be used and will closely monitor the situations to ensure impacts on sockeye are at a minimum.

Should DFO feel that the rate of compliance is insufficient to ensure the adequate passage of sockeye, spot closures or a "no fishing for salmon" restriction may result.
Thanks to everyone,

"mods; any chance we can sticky this thread to the top"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:25:09 AM by Gone_Fishin_ »

Gone_Fishin_

Re: Selective Fishing Thread 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »

I will likely be out tomrrow morning, going to try my luck at bar fishing. Kind of new method to me as i usually only fish smaller rivers like the vedder etc or float/spoon/jig fish the Fraser/Harrison.

Picked up a dozen or so spin glows, couple bent rod spinners and will try around island 22 area this weekend. Depending on how crowded sections are i plan on fishing out of the back of the boat if i can, Will anchor in tight somewhere and cast out. Will posty up a report come Monday.

Any experienced bar fishers want to chime in? new for me so will be learning.

Braid main line
Bar Rig with about 6" of 30lb tied to a snap swivel for weight
30" 40lb maxima leader (too long or too short)
4/0 hook (or should i go bigger)
Spin "n" Glows in red top/silver, green top/silver. Red/pink combinations
Bent Rod spinners in various colors.
Have some old roe in the freezer from last year, was thinking pulling this out and tying up some sacs. Just bait loop them on like sturgeon rig or.. ?

Also heard of hole punching a wing on a spin glow, makes it rotate in a circle depending on how big you make the hole or something. Havent tried this yet but will mess around off the side of the boat with a leader in my hand while fishing to see what i can get the lure to do. 

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »

Hole punching the spin n glo is an interesting idea.  Be sure and let us know how it works for you. 

banx

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »

yes, only punch one of the wings on the spin n glo. and keep it small.... usually only on the larger spin n glos. a little roe sack behind your spinner will also help. about thumbnail size. you get noise and scent.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »

Guys would also make the hole thru the body oblong so that it doesn't spin on a true axis. This make the spin glo vibrate more when spinning as well.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »

Sure would be nice to get more info on this thread.

Why/how does bar fishing/float fishing/spoon chucking target everything but sockeye?

My first season, so much to learn...

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 03:37:42 PM »

Sure would be nice to get more info on this thread.

Why/how does bar fishing/float fishing/spoon chucking target everything but sockeye?

My first season, so much to learn...
Sockeye can be caught quite readily/easily on the Vedder float fishing prawns/shrimp. I'm not sure why the sockeye don't bite in the Fraser. Could be the poor visibility, but then the question of why springs bite and not sockeye would then come up. Maybe they bite in the Vedder because it's their spawning system making them more aggressive? There really is no clear or concise answer to that question that I've come across to this point.

Tangles

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 02:33:47 AM »

I don't think that tight lipped socks are a Fraser phenomenon only. I have an awesome book titled "Fly fishing for Salmon in the Pacific Northwest". It's based on decades of local experience, scientific researches and advancements. The author of the book Les Johnson has 40years of experience chasing salmon on the fly, almost exclusively saltwater. So he was saying that sockeye could be taken on the fly in the chuck but are by far the pickiest of all species, certain sockeye strains, depending on their migration routes also display different "willingness" to take a fly. Many saltwater fisherman have spent decades of experimenting with different fly patterns trying to finally figure out the picky socks and while they have achieved some success Sockeye still remains the hardest ones to catch. All in all this is the best of my fishing books, highly recommended!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »

Please post and share with your social media buddies.

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »

Report:

Saturday afteroon finally made our way out to the river. Launced at island 22 and headed upstream below the harrison. Had an unfriendly encounter with some FN drift netting one section, i guess we "ruined" their set as we were anchored in 3' of water about 20' from shore. We didnt notice any boats drifting when we pulled in so looked like a good spot at first. After a breif discussion with them and being told to leave "their" river we decided it was just easier to pull anchor and move else where.

Headed back down and managed to sneak in the tail out of the bar across from 22 thats on lock down... 30 holders in the ground with only about 10 rods..

Fished spin n glows on both rods. Nothing for us after 4 hours of fishing.

Guy above us hooked/landed a nice spring about 18-22lbs it looked like. Bar fishing as well.

Only seen one guy bottom bouncing which was good, everyone else was bar fishing. Good to see mostly everyone following DFO's advice.