Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tips on fishing Canim Lake, near 100 Mile House  (Read 8327 times)

stlucio

tips on fishing Canim Lake, near 100 Mile House
« on: August 06, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »

Hello everyone,

I will be at Canim Lake at the end of this month for a week and hoping to do some fishing. This will be my first time visiting this lake so any advice or tips will be much appreciated. I'm planning on bringing all my gears (fly fishing, gear fishing, lures, worms, etc.) and my friend got a boat for fishing as well. I heard the lakes near-by are excellent but I think my group would prefer to stay at Canim Lake. I'm doing my research but any information would be good. Thanks and tight lines!

LC

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: tips on fishing Canim Lake, near 100 Mile House
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

I rented a cottage a few years ago on the lake; the owner provided all his fishing gear, inflatable and motor (nicest guy ever!).  His suggestion caught many fish for me and the kids - pretty much just a fly on the line (spinning gear) trolled slowly behind the boat.... trout for dinner every night!

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

stlucio

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »

Thanks! i'm looking into trolling as well. Trolling seems to be the method that works at Canim Lake. Thank you for your advice.

Toprod

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »

We like to troll with downriggers for big lake trout in Canim.

Spoons work well but a 4 inch chrome Tomic plug is best.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »

Yup, its a troll show.

Small lures = small trout, all the old usual standards will work well, weddingband with a worm, flatfish with a worm, blue fox, silvex, small crocs, panther martins...did I mention with a worm?

Big lures = big lakers (usually deeper) - if you don't have a downrigger, you can try a jet diver, and slap a deep diving rapala crankbait on there along with it.  Tomics and Jplugs as also previously mentioned.

All this said, we once tagged a 10+ laker on a small (size 5?) frog flatfish with just a split shot.  They can be caught shallow.  Look for creek mouths and work back and forth with different depths until you dial it in.

And don't be afraid to cast out a worm or power bait on a bottom rig from shore in front of your cabin.

stlucio

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »

Thank you both for some great tips! I can't wait to go fishing! haha.