Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Norrish, Nov. 4'th and 5'th...  (Read 1598 times)

Eskimo

Norrish, Nov. 4'th and 5'th...
« on: November 05, 2004, 02:29:56 PM »

So I had a little time Thursday morning and Friday Morning,  after dropping the kids off at school, and went to explore the Norrish area with my fly rod.   The water is low and gin clear, although I gather it was quite high earlier in the week.  I had hoped to find a few coho's milling about in pockets of calm water between the mouth and the train bridge.  This year, there are almost no pools in this stretch of water.  The area around the mouth was always good for some slow water, (where the river joins the slew), but this year - all channel with a good flow.   Last year, there were a number of small pools along the sides of the river with enough depth to hide a few coho's, this year, or at least this week - too shallow.   There are lots of dark coho's, a couple of clean ones, a couple of cutties, but all so shallow that they are spooked.   There are a number of ponds high and dry from the higher water that are full of chum - too bad, but the gulls are happy.  If you are drift fishing,  there are a couple of good stretches of water that are full of chums and a few coho, closer to the mouth.  For fly fishing, the Norrish doesn't have as much to offer as past years....

Have a good weekend,

Ron

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Norrish, Nov. 4'th and 5'th...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »

Sorry to hear that Eskimo as myself and girlfriend were planning on taking a trip out that way on Saturday. Thank's for saving me a few hours and some gas.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 06:36:24 AM »

Thanks for the report Eskimo I was  going to head out that way you saved me a trip
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 06:46:12 PM »

well i hit the mouth area today afterworkin all mornin  :(
water is as stated above very low and clear
i did find a few pools with coho and chum hiding in the bottom
but as soon as they saw my shape apearing from behind them
man they took of so fast that sometimes the water would almost boil with fish looking for a place to hide lol
so i would settle in the grass on the bank and a few minuets latter the fish would return  rolling around and jumpin and splashing around infront of me  :-\
so i tried baiting up while sitting low but  i found casting rather a challenge but possible
but as soon as my float hit the water wham spooked them away again
so next time i casted way up stream so as not to spook them but as my line drifted towards them they would part like the red sea and just let my roe pass on through  :o
tried this a few times with no sucess  so i switched to just sitting my roe on the bottom
hooked up with a few chums this way but no cohos for me
after 4 very wet hours called it a day and went to check out the railway bridge area
lots of chum but no signs of silver bullets
ohwell until next time
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY