Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 5258 times)

Silver

Braid
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

I had a chance to cast side by side two similar light casting rod and reels. The one with 20lb Power Pro ( has a 6lb diameter) greatly out performed the other with 8lb Maxima ultragreen. I want to use it on my baitcaster that has a 10lb/115yard capacity for monofilament.

Why do I feel that there is a indifference to braid if it casts farther and doesn't have memory? Seems like a better product to me. and I can put more on my reel in a smaller diameter.

Also, I would tie a leader to the braid with a swivel. But i could not reel past the swivel and the leader length is a bit long to cast easily. Is it better to tie a leader directly to the braid with a fly type knot. And if so, should i replace the spinner swivels with bearing swivels...I already change the weak Gibbs hooks anyway.

Another thought is If you spool up 10lb test to a reel, you mostly don't have to use a lighter leader. If you snag, your chances of breaking the line in the middle are significant, as opposed to just losing a little leader.

Am I correct in these thoughts?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

There are lots of advantages to using braid over mono.
For float fishing the line floats and is highly visible, making for easier mending and better line control. It is hydrophobic so it holds less water when fishing in cold temperatures. This leads to less ice-up. I use PowerPro Slick8 in 30lb in high visibility yellow or blue. Suffix 832 would be comparable.
I use 10-12lb mono or fluoro leader attached to a swivel - 12" to 18" for rubber eggs and jigs, 24" for blades.

If you are fishing spoons or spinners you can tie directly to the lure for most fish. If you really want a mono leader then you should use a connection type knot like a double Albright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBT7WVqocY
I use a superline (Nanofil - technically not braid) on my spinning reel and tie directly to the lure. I find that the knot always fails first so have never seen the need for a mono leader.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »

I had a chance to cast side by side two similar light casting rod and reels. The one with 20lb Power Pro ( has a 6lb diameter) greatly out performed the other with 8lb Maxima ultragreen. I want to use it on my baitcaster that has a 10lb/115yard capacity for monofilament.

Why do I feel that there is a indifference to braid if it casts farther and doesn't have memory? Seems like a better product to me. and I can put more on my reel in a smaller diameter.

Do it, you wont regret it. Braid doesn’t get the consideration it should I think because most people simply haven’t tried it or they associate it with bottom bouncing/flossing. You’re discovering it’s many benefits and how it compares favorably with mono on many fronts. For small or low profile baitcasters, it’s awesome for all the qualities you describe and more.

To be fair braid is not perfect. It’s obviously much more expensive and because it’s so limp, it can tangle and knot in ways you’d never even think possible. And if you are unlucky enough to cinch down on a tangle, you might be forced to cut off a good chunk of your precious line.

Also, I would tie a leader to the braid with a swivel. But i could not reel past the swivel and the leader length is a bit long to cast easily. Is it better to tie a leader directly to the braid with a fly type knot.

Another thought is If you spool up 10lb test to a reel, you mostly don't have to use a lighter leader. If you snag, your chances of breaking the line in the middle are significant, as opposed to just losing a little leader.

Your leader is probably longer than it needs to be. Otherwise use an Albright like typhoon suggests. I would always put a weaker mono leader in front of braid, but its up to you.

Silver

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

I think I will stick with the braid then.

If I understand it correctly, I can tied the braid directly to the lure for most presentations...I would assume everything except roe and other bait? I would probaby still put on a leader for gear just because I could add a swivel for extra line twist protection and fussy fish.

The Nanofil sounds like a good option too, I believe its thinner and stronger than mono...kind of like braid but not?
I hear that unless you are very careful, knots can be tied weak like fluorocarbon.
***Thought***If I set up this reel to be my finesse duty rod, will the yellow braid scare fish in gin clear water even with a 24 inch leader...or is this enough distance? Maybe these are the conditions that would call for Nanofil?

What is the best performing braid, and what size/color should i put on it?
This Will be for the Abu Revo MGX that holds 12lb/115yard...i want it to hold a bit more.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »

How are you fishing?
Float - braid goes through the float, through the weight and is tied to a swivel with mono leader.
Lure - braid can be tied directly to the lure or with a leader - I have seen guys use 4 feet of mono.
Bottom bounce (not flossing) - braid should be tied to the weight or through weight to swivel with mono leader.
I catch plenty of coho and steelhead float fishing with high-viz braid and 12-24" leader.

Silver

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »

This will be my coho/steelhead rod for casting.

VA7DDP

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »

Braid is a B***h to use with floats other than wrap arounds.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »

I've used it for 20+ years with no issues at all.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »

Nonsense

bald_seagull

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »

braid with seagaur blue label or seagaur sts has been my go to for some time now use it on all my reels except for my pin
after using a variety of different braids ive settled on sufix 832 or power pro slick 8 as being the top preformers for me
or just plain old power pro if the others arent availiable

depending on how im fishing i tie the leader on directly with a bimini twist or usually i use a high speed swivel to help with line twist

also i would recommend putting a bit of backing on your reel first to help prevent the braid from cutting/digging into the spool when you get a big fish or a bad snag on

i would size up to 30 lb test if putting on a baitcaster as well but thats just my preference as the thinner the diameter the easier the line will dig/cut into the spool which sucks when you need line to come out when a big fish goes to run

mzmann

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »

Nonsense
Agreed, use mainly cleardrift, fishon and drennans with zero issues.

On a side note, while walking out from fishing a northside flow one day, I had some "I think im a pro" hothead decide he wanted to lash out at me for using braid in gin clear water stating all it was doing was spooking the fish.....,,,,,after trying to politely (albeit annoyingly) show/explain to him that I use a short fluoro leader below my float as well as a longer one if casting spoons/spinners he just started freaking out and going off about braid period, and that I wouldn't catch anything that way, yada yada yada, lol.....I told him that I don't seem to have any issues catching with this method, opened my bag to show my limit and simply walked away. He was still cussing at me about using it as I walked away down the trail, lol.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

Agreed.Ive cut many wrap around now i just use centerhole ones with a bobber stopper on each side of the float.

mzmann

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »

Agreed.Ive cut many wrap around now i just use centerhole ones with a bobber stopper on each side of the float.

Looks like he said that braid was a b(*&$ to use with floats "OTHER" than wrap arounds....I never really use them myself but makes sense that braid would slice through it fairly easily.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

VA7DDP

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »

Yea I miss worded my sentecnce.

Lets try this again

Braid is a B***h on floats other than straight through.

Silver

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:47:16 PM »

Agreed, use mainly cleardrift, fishon and drennans with zero issues.

On a side note, while walking out from fishing a northside flow one day, I had some "I think im a pro" hothead decide he wanted to lash out at me for using braid in gin clear water stating all it was doing was spooking the fish.....,,,,,after trying to politely (albeit annoyingly) show/explain to him that I use a short fluoro leader below my float as well as a longer one if casting spoons/spinners he just started freaking out and going off about braid period, and that I wouldn't catch anything that way, yada yada yada, lol.....I told him that I don't seem to have any issues catching with this method, opened my bag to show my limit and simply walked away. He was still cussing at me about using it as I walked away down the trail, lol.

Curious?

What color braid do you use?