Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those that fish summer runs... Have you noticed?  (Read 5767 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
For those that fish summer runs... Have you noticed?
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

For all you guys out there that have been fishing summer runs, both on the mainland and the island - have you noticed that this year has been seemingly great?

I know it's probably no where near as good as the good ole days, but I've never had so many 10+ fish days like this year, ever. It's been incredible no matter what methods I'm doing... fly, pinning, spoons. Just tonnes of aggressive fish everywhere it seems. Have you guys noticed the same on your home rivers?

At this point I'm really looking forward to the winter season and seeing what it holds. Hopefully they will actually show up in good numbers, unlike last year.

Cheers,
Dan

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: For those that fish summer runs... Have you noticed?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »

It's not hard getting summer-runs when the water was at historic lows during the summer months all over the province this year! Like shooting fish in a barrel! Not the smartest fish on the planet. My wish is for people to stop fishing for them when the temp of the flow is at a critical point like in August and a good portion of September this past year. Did you notice how early the summer-run coloured up this summer = stress! I know I saw some mortality this summer hiking around and while not fishing for them!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:54:49 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »

It's not hard getting summer-runs when the water was at historic lows during the summer months all over the province this year! Like shooting fish in a barrel! Not the smartest fish on the planet. My wish is for people to stop fishing for them when the temp of the flow is at a critical point like in August and a good portion on September this past year. Did you notice how early the summer-run coulored up this summer = stress! I know I saw some mortality this summer hiking around and while not fishing for them!

I only fished summer runs in May and June. After that I started up again in the latter part of September after the first rains, and am still fishing summer/fall runs now. My best days were after those rains in October. Many of the fish I got in October were ocean fresh, all had tail rays, many were two toned. Made me think a bunch were just holding in the salt and were late, waiting for colder and higher water to move.

To add to your speculation of how fast they coloured - I didn't notice it at all for the most part. Most of the fish I caught, and have still been catching are some of the prettiest fish I've ever hit.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:58 PM »

I only personally know one river to catch them, well two... But both are far considering most of my fishing is drop in during work hours. I need to learn some more locations on the mainland.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

Saw this guy flossing sockeye in late August. Definitely some stress happening.

riptide

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »

I was going to reply in the " Can't wait for steelhead category " after you posted about your success ED . We definitely noticed more summer runs around this year in Oct. as a coho bycatch . 4 summer runs in 3 trips , all very healthy , mended and ready to go. Not matching your numbers by any means but exciting for our crew . Another fishing bud landed 2 in 2 trips , also coho bycatch .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »

I was going to reply in the " Can't wait for steelhead category " after you posted about your success ED . We definitely noticed more summer runs around this year in Oct. as a coho bycatch . 4 summer runs in 3 trips , all very healthy , mended and ready to go. Not matching your numbers by any means but exciting for our crew . Another fishing bud landed 2 in 2 trips , also coho bycatch .

What are they mended from and where are they going?

mattyo

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »

Mended from spawn, and on the way to the ocean

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

Mended from spawn, and on the way to the ocean
All these years I thought summer-runs spawned in the spring!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:15:34 PM by greyghost »

riptide

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

For their size and bright coloring thought they were matured may have already spawned and were on the mend . What can I say , not a biologist , just a fisherman , maybe they are in late and will hold , mature, and spawn in the spring .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:13:53 PM »

All these years I thought summer-runs spawned in the spring!

mostly they do.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »

For their size and bright coloring thought they were matured may have already spawned and were on the mend . What can I say , not a biologist , just a fisherman , maybe they are in late and will hold , mature, and spawn in the spring .

You should do some research on the net and get a better understanding of these fish. You might even appreciate this species even more than you do now! It will open your eyes that's for sure!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »

It's actually interesting, as two of the fish we caught this year back in October looked like mending fish... Super skinny, and not the best looking. My only other "theory" behind those two fish was that due to the extremely low water and stress, they had used up a lot of their reserves and were no longer in good shape.

About two weeks ago now though, same river, we were catching summer runs that were nickel bright, tail rays and all. Same section of river, and all the fish were super fat, super bright, super healthy. Maybe the two fish we caught back in October were hold over's from spring, but that even seems very odd.

Back to the original statement's though. Summer runs indeed do spawn in the spring. A lot is based on water temperature though. Last year there were quite a few kelts heading out in a lot of the west coast island rivers mid January. Never heard of steelhead (on the island anyway) spawning before mid December.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

I did not notice this on the mainland as much this year.
Slower returns in the streams that I fished or friends have fished.
This winter run seems to be lets just say an early start. I hope this keeps up well.
Tight lines to all

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »

Summers and winters both spawn in the spring.