Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Asking how to catch pikeminnows or whitefish near mission bridge in the fraser  (Read 7429 times)

sturgeoning1

Seems that now my fresh salmon do not work anymore for monster sturgeons. Who can tell me about how to catch pikeminnows, whitefishes real quick in the fraser near mission bridge? Generally like where exactly I should go and what I should go with.

mr.bean

Stand In knee deep water, catch a fly, put it in front of you. As soon the pike minnow comes up  hit it hard with a baseball bat right on the old nagen. Works every time!

knoxsturgeon

from the movie  my name is nobody   spaggettie western starring Terence hill and henry fonda  love it

poper

Use nylon rope and a 10ot hook with chicken

Rieber

• Old Timer

Sink a little roe to the bottom. Keep the cast short and into a little seam or back eddie or anything that looks like a little slower moving water than the rest.

Easy set-up. Mainline to regular snap swivel or similar. Tie on one light or compromised leader to a weight of at least 1oz. Off the bottom eye of the swivel tie on your leader - make it 4-5'. Keep your hook relatively small like a 4 or 6 even 8 is okay.

get some stale or try find some older/tougher mini white marshmallows - feed one over the hook over the eve and onto the knot. Put on a little glob of sticky roe, little roe sack or a couple single eggs or maggots. The marshmallow floats the bait up just off the bottom.
Or use power bait.

Cast out, click the bail and let the line settle on the bottom. Reel up the slack to put a little bend in the rod and set the rod in a holder or rock pile or whatever. Sit down in your chair and watch the rod tip for takes.

Reel in and check your bait after 10 minutes or so and depending on how well your bait stays on - adjust the soaking time accordingly.

MetalAndFeathers

rod+weight+size 8 hook+worm=nonstop pikeminnow action

KarateKick

While using roe or worm, does a spreader bar help?

Rieber

• Old Timer

While using roe or worm, does a spreader bar help?

You don't need it but use it if you want. Personal choice. I don't think it helps for minnows and whitefish.

clarki

• Old Timer

Given this regulation: "It is illegal to waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water." (page 9 of the synopsis), is it illegal to kill NPMs or whitefish for bait?

It seems to imply that the only permissible reason to retain a fish is to eat it. I know it is a commonly accepted practice to use NPMs for sturgeon, but is it illegal?

One could argue that the law doesn't extend to cover NPMs because they are not considered freshwater game fish and not covered in the regs, but the OP mentioned whitefish, and they are.

On a personal note, I think it's irresponsible to kill one fish to catch and release another. But that's just my humble, uninformed, opinion. :)

Rieber

• Old Timer

Given this regulation: "It is illegal to waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water." (page 9 of the synopsis), is it illegal to kill NPMs or whitefish for bait?

It seems to imply that the only permissible reason to retain a fish is to eat it. I know it is a commonly accepted practice to use NPMs for sturgeon, but is it illegal?

One could argue that the law doesn't extend to cover NPMs because they are not considered freshwater game fish and not covered in the regs, but the OP mentioned whitefish, and they are.

On a personal note, I think it's irresponsible to kill one fish to catch and release another. But that's just my humble, uninformed, opinion. :)

You bring up an interesting point but that would sure put a damper on the Annual Cultus Lake NPM Derby where no limit catch and kill is encouraged.

slava

In Region 2 the use of fin fish (dead or alive) or parts of fin fish is prohibited except when sport fishing for sturgeon on Fraser River (page 9 of Synopsis).

clarki

• Old Timer

In Region 2 the use of fin fish (dead or alive) or parts of fin fish is prohibited except when sport fishing for sturgeon on Fraser River (page 9 of Synopsis).
Understood. I'm just inquiring about the legality of what fin fish you use for bait, and you how you acquire them.

barklee

There isn't much course fish on Fraser now.

clarkii

• Old Timer

There is nothing in the regs re. NPM quota in region 2.

KarateKick

rod+weight+size 8 hook+worm=nonstop pikeminnow action

How much does the action slow down in the winter?