Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish river  (Read 15476 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Squamish river
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »

Decided it is time to try this flow for the first time. Heard lots of positive things and figured it was time to get out and fly fish some pinks. Here come the questions. First is it worth the trip up yet, I have heard they are in but confirmation would be appreciated. Second, never been there so is there a good starting point. Don't want any secret spots, just a general area of where to start looking. Road names and or directions would be appreciated. Lastly, I checked the regs and it says 2 pinks, is there a reason it has been non retention in the past. Hopefully I can get my grandfather and myself into a few pinks so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

kosanin kosher salt

Re: Squamish river
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »

confirmed,  squamish is good right now  , and its pretty good chances you'll get into a few fish if the water clarity is still alright. yesterdays clarity was good.
going to squamish: turn left at the wendys/tim hortons take that road 300yards (till dead end) turn right , take that road past the railway mueseum(the road will turn into that direction) later on your right hand side about 100 yards past the mueseum theres a little dirt road . take that road  and you will see the cars parked less than a km up . i think its called squamish bar and its one of the more popular spots

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I will now just get the road names from a map. Is there any spots where we can walk and explore to find spots to ourselves. Not a huge fan of crowds with my fly casting ability, a few people are fine just not shoulder to shoulder

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:00:40 AM »

Removed because they were up long enough ;-)

tight lines

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:19:12 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I will now just get the road names from a map. Is there any spots where we can walk and explore to find spots to ourselves. Not a huge fan of crowds with my fly casting ability, a few people are fine just not shoulder to shoulder

I was fishing the mouth of the Mam and there were quite a few people there, with a little bushwhacking I was able to find a spot to myself (I considered myself VERY lucky to do so), that happened to be an almost ideal spot with a good stretch of slower water for the fish to hold in and was able to get multiple hook ups on my little pink clousers.
Not all those who wander are lost

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:24:36 AM »

Lastly, I checked the regs and it says 2 pinks, is there a reason it has been non retention in the past.

The reason it has been closed the last few years is multi faceted:

1) 2003 large return followed by a huge flood in October when all of the eggs in the gravel. Subsequent fry monitoring on the Cheakamus indicated around 0.5 % survival of the eggs.

2)2005 return being monitored for a possable opening and then the CN Rail Caustic Soda spill in the Cheakamus . River closed to protect what was left of the spawners.

3) 2007 rebuilding

4) 2009 the run indicators did not look overly promising so it was closed in river. Fish arrived a bit later than the last few cycles.

5) This year...?

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys. I completely forgot about the spill. Hook, thanks for the directions. Heading up first thing tomorrow :)

adecadelost

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »

Both Hook and Kasanin have given you directions to the same spot.
It is by far the most popular and most crowded spot on the river.  But for good reason you should have no problem getting into fish there if you can find some room.
The wonderful part about the squamish though is you have miles of river that hold fish.  The mouth of the mamquam is a good place to start but you can find a little solitude if you explore around a bit.
Please remember this river has been closed for retention for many years and with good reason.  Please treat it with respect as well as other anglers, typical meat hole attitudes will not be tolerated on this river.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

Haven't fished that area for years but I recall a fair amount of nasty QUICKSAND located near the Mamquam mouth.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

Haven't fished that area for years but I recall a fair amount of nasty QUICKSAND located near the Mamquam mouth.

Still there.

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »

Please remember this river has been closed for retention for many years and with good reason.  Please treat it with respect as well as other anglers, typical meat hole attitudes will not be tolerated on this river.

sorry newbie question, I just want to confirm, so there is still close for retention? or its okay now? incase I go there and fish. I have the regulation booklet on my hand but I dont see anything..

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »

sorry newbie question, I just want to confirm, so there is still close for retention? or its okay now? incase I go there and fish. I have the regulation booklet on my hand but I dont see anything..

You wont see anything in the book.  You need to check the in season updates online <http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm>

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »

It is open for two pinks. Check the online regulations as that's where recent regs changes are shown in red. We are catch and release guys anyway but I didn't want to bawl someone out for keeping a fish if they are allowed to.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »

was at the confluence earlier, pretty crowded but i saw fish rolling and being pulled in. didn't have my fly rod otherwise i would have stayed

good luck

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 06:06:06 PM »

Will be heading up there with my fly rod asap, will let y'all now how it goes.  Likely sometime this weekend.

Fav fly is a number 10-4 2X streamer, pink calf-tail for the tail, pink crystal chenille body, bead chain eyes and a couple of turns of pink schlappen.  Lightening quick to tie, very easy to cast, can get down deep enough (usually)

J
- John A.