Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011  (Read 39099 times)

mistermongz

Re: Upcoming Pink Salmon Run fraser 2011
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »

Here are a couple more "go to" flies.

that first one on the left works wonders for me for BULL TROUT! and will be one of my go to fly for pinks as well!
Fish on!!!

Butch1949

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

Can someone help me out here with the Mamquam River....being from Ontario....fished the Mamquam having travelled up on the sea to sky.  Parked in Gov't park, walked over the bridge and down on the east side of Hwy99...I catch myself 4 Pinks all in beautiful shape in no time on pink wool...easy...then I hear from above, this guy hollering from the bridge above that I can't fish there, it is out of bounds....oooops, I go back home check the regs cannot see anything of boundaries here, so I go back and fish the west side to the mouth of the Squamish...or was it Cheakumus....no I think it was Squamish, anyway I see fish but was afraid to fish, would like to explore the east side more, can anyone help??? ??? ???
"I don't catch fish"

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »

Can someone help me out here with the Mamquam River....being from Ontario....fished the Mamquam having travelled up on the sea to sky.  Parked in Gov't park, walked over the bridge and down on the east side of Hwy99...I catch myself 4 Pinks all in beautiful shape in no time on pink wool...easy...then I hear from above, this guy hollering from the bridge above that I can't fish there, it is out of bounds....oooops, I go back home check the regs cannot see anything of boundaries here, so I go back and fish the west side to the mouth of the Squamish...or was it Cheakumus....no I think it was Squamish, anyway I see fish but was afraid to fish, would like to explore the east side more, can anyone help??? ??? ???

Carry the reg with you when fishing.  Sounds like a local hoping to chase you out.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »

Squamish, Mamquam and Cheakamus salmon fishing regulations can be found on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

There are no specific "no salmon fishing" sections on the Mamquam River so you can target them anywhere, but just cannot keep any. That being said, seasonal regulation changes can occur to accommodate the health of each year's return. Changes may include no salmon fishing (which means no fishing for them completely, not even catch and release). As the season approaches, a fishery notice will usually come out if seasonal regulation changes are issued. The notice is usually linked from our website's homepage.

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2011, 03:38:34 PM »

I have had pretty good luck with pink jigs.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »

I looked in the new regs. Freshwater Salmon as well the Freshwater synopsis . There is no mention of any boundary signs on the Mamquam system . There   is      fishing for trout throughout the whole system . Their is no fishing in the tributaries to the Mamquam river . I was informed by a local Whistler guide and through my experience from past fishing in the Squamish area that Fisheries sometimes will post a notice for the boundary sometime around Sept 15 or sooner . Pink salmon may be different . This will probably indicate that it will be for salmon fishing from  the rail bridge on the Mamquam downstream to the confluence to the Squamish River I don't know what the quota for pinks are on that system , but I know you are allowed 1 hatchery marked Coho per day . Your best bet for any information regarding where you are going to fish    . CALL the local fisheries office in the area you are going to go fish . Also get a name , first and last name of the fishery officer you talked to on the phone and carry it with you in case you are hollered at again , you can give the holler people the name and number and they can holler at them . My 2 cents
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:11:24 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »

Great day on the Cheakamus  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »

I looked in the new regs. Freshwater Salmon as well the Freshwater synopsis . There is no mention of any boundary signs on the Mamquam system . There   is      fishing for trout throughout the whole system . Their is no fishing in the tributaries to the Mamquam river . I was informed by a local Whistler guide and through my experience from past fishing in the Squamish area that Fisheries sometimes will post a notice for the boundary sometime around Sept 15 or sooner . Pink salmon may be different . This will probably indicate that it will be for salmon fishing from  the rail bridge on the Mamquam downstream to the confluence to the Squamish River I don't know what the quota for pinks are on that system , but I know you are allowed 1 hatchery marked Coho per day . Your best bet for any information regarding where you are going to fish    . CALL the local fisheries office in the area you are going to go fish . Also get a name , first and last name of the fishery officer you talked to on the phone and carry it with you in case you are hollered at again , you can give the holler people the name and number and they can holler at them . My 2 cents

There is no retention of pinks in the Mamquam.
Not all those who wander are lost

Butch1949

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the info, I did not retain the Pinks, they were in great shape and gave great fun , just bothered by the guy hollering at me from the bridge and I was just on the east side of it at hwy 99, nest time up I walked and fished the river to the Squamish but had better luck just where that guy hollered at me to stop fishing as I was he claimed out of bounds. :-\
"I don't catch fish"

Robbie

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:29 PM »

Sometimes they close it above the bridge.