Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drifting Setup  (Read 6090 times)

Danube Boy

Re: Drifting Setup
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »

Steve, you've gotten some decent advice so far and an HMX in the specs you mentioned was a great choice from quality, performance and value perspective. For the reel, I definitely agree with everyone's choice of the Abu C3,  and like Fish Slayer suggested, a 5500 would be plenty big. A 6500 would be unnecessarily big for the Vedder; you just simply don't need 250 yards of line on the reel.
As far as the line goes, if you are not that familar with the river yet, I'd go with a 20lb mono for main and to make it simple, stick with a 10lb leader in most conditions, but have some 8lb on hand for those very low gin clear conditions. A little stronger main line will ensure that you get most of your stuff back when you hit snags.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

I think 20lb mainline might be a bit too springy for a levelwind and will cause too many backlashes. The most I have ever used was 15lb ultra green and felt it was plenty strong for the vedder. If you're not dredging bottom the only thing that should snag up is your hook on stray root balls or random sticks stuck in the gravel bottom.

bcguy

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »

Med-heavy 10'6" steelhead rod, Abu 6500-size reel, 50lbs Powerpro, 2-4 oz bouncing betty, 10' 30lbs leader and a hook.  Doesn't matter what's on that hook, they don't "bite" anyways.  Keep your limit and stop fishing, BBing fish for sport is kind of twisted IMO.
That is not a drifting set up, that is bottom bouncing, two very different things
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

reconize

• eeeeeeeereconize
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

Made in China Made in China

is all i keep hearing from you guys, buy a used lamiglas or g loomis and a nice reel ... not made in china

do your part
mm fish

jimyvr

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »

Does anybody have any input to what size of drift rod and reel i should go for. I want a rod that will handle most of the fish from chinook to steelhead to coho in the vedder,  an all around rod and a good reel

I saw good deal at Army Navy - drift plus reel about $150

alan

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

Med-heavy 10'6" steelhead rod, Abu 6500-size reel, 50lbs Powerpro, 2-4 oz bouncing betty, 10' 30lbs leader and a hook.  Doesn't matter what's on that hook, they don't "bite" anyways.  Keep your limit and stop fishing, BBing fish for sport is kind of twisted IMO.

That's what you use on the vedder? The original post is asking for a rod and reel setup for the vedder river...

That is not a drifting set up, that is bottom bouncing, two very different things

I think he was being sarcastic....

steve B

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

I'll probably go with that maxima ultra green 15lb line i heard that line was good 8lb leader i dont care if the rod was made in china everything is made in china so what now it comes down too what hooks will be the best i will spare no money here

another thing I'm going to be float fishing here on the vedder i heard that drift fishing and float fishing were the same thing i could be wrong

Fish Slayer

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »

Gami hooks are the hooks to use  ;)

steve B

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

gamigatsu it is thanks for the tips from the people that actually gave me advise and not BS !

now all i have to do is learn how to cast
I will practice on the alouette river which actullay has quite a bit of young steelhead and plenty of those damn squawfish in the system caught a nice 4lb steelhead/sea run rainbow outta there yesterday, released it with care

see ya on the vedder and or chilliwack river