Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river chinook run  (Read 5594 times)

steve B

vedder river chinook run
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »

when does the vedder river open to drift fishing and spincasting,  and is it the red flesh spring coming into the river or the harrison white springs that run into the vedder in the summer. im new to the river system

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: vedder river chinook run
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »

I think it is July 1st but you should check the regulations to be absolutely sure. A few Red springs will be in the system at that point but more will certainly follow in a few weeks from there.  White springs will enter the system in better numbers starting in September and it is mostly dependent on water levels at that time of year.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:45 PM »

CHILLIWACK / VEDDER RIVERSΣ
(Does not include Sumas River)

2-4 Closed all year above and including Slesse Creek
Below Slesse Creek to Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) no fishing May 1-June 30; (b) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or
less: daily quota = 4, July 1 - Apr 30; (c) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round
Below Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery cutthroat
release, May 1-31; (b) no fishing June 1-30; (c) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less:
daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30; (d) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round

troutbum

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »

the vedder reds come in early july.  its a smaller run then the fall white's which show up mid september

Nutterbug

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »

How about the Chehalis?

Apparently, it becomes legal on June 1.

steve B

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »

any pointers on what type of fly rod might beable to handle these monsters.  I have a 9ft  9 weight diawa flyrod and any suggestions on types of flies i tie my own flies by the way

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »

flies for targetting chinook can range from large to quite small. I like use ones in the range of a Tiemco size 4 salmon hook. I have had my best success with Black, Blue, Chartruese, Red and Pink. Other colours will work and combinations of them as well, it all depends on whats going on in any particular run i find. The more traffic in the run the smaller your fly needs to be and the more subtle in its colours. I have gone all the way down to size 4 egg patterns to get into fish and its very hard to land them with tiny hooks because they straighten them out alot.

your rod is perfect for chinook. just make sure you have a reel with a good drag on it.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/