Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 7575 times)

Trophy Fisher

Re: Waders
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »

I got a brand new pair of Remington cpx waders still in box never used, 275$  size ML

I can say with confidence that the Redington CPX Waders are the most comfortable pair of waders out of the 6 that I have owned and better than the Simms, plus there half the price. The waders have a convenient zippered flip out pocket and Built-in gravel guards. I would give these a 10/10

If you are worried about being cold wear something worm underneath

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »

--budget for an inflatable PFD....neoprene will float your feet up and head down underwater. or take a PFD, even if not comfortable for fishing to wear when crossing deep water... often Kayak paddle style vests or old ski belt are comfortable enough to wear while fishing.
--always fish with a buddy..for safety
--take a throw line.. like on a boat.
--get a pair that fits well or the experience will be less than satisfactory.

--It is sad but often it is the experienced angler that ends up in trouble..fishing alone or getting out an extra foot into deep water.
--I say this because if you use waders eventually you're going to fall... It only takes once!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:44:04 AM by skaha »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »

Breathable all the way.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact that they are so much easier to move around in and you won't tire as much while wearing them compared to a pair of neoprenes.  When you don't fatigue you don't take as many missteps and generally speaking you'll have an easier (safer) go of wading.

I'll never go back to neoprenes.  I had an old pair of hodgeman ones that I just cut the feet off to use for wet wading socks :)

prairiefire

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »

I first started with a pair of neos for float tubing but since upgraded to breathables for river fishing. All I can say is WOW! Better mobility and much easier to get into/out of. I got mine on clearance from Cabelas for under $100. They are Hodgmann. Not a big brand but they do the trick. Just go to MEC and get yourself a pair of wicking long underwear and socks no matter what brand you buy. Wear these under fleece pants/wool socks and you'll be toasty warm all year long. I'll also second the Chota boots. Mine are going on 4 years now. I'm eyeing up the Korkers Boa system boots though.  ::) Also make sure your wading boots are one size bigger.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:53:22 AM by prairiefire »
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »

Neos offer nothing by way of flotation.  If you go in then the waders will flood.  Neos are a pain to get off.  Again....buy GOOD quality waders.  Do not cheap out.  I made this mistake and i went through a bunch of waders.  The total cost was much more than it would have been had I bought a good pair the first time.  Make sure you get waders that are large enough to fit some warm clothes on underneath and you will be much better off than wearing restrictive neoprene waders.

As for warmth in wet conditions....remember cotton is a killer!  Wear fleece or wool as they will both continue to insulate when wet.  Cotton will not and thus you will be cold, get sick and not be able to fish for a week until you feel better!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »

I have taken 2 big swims in the river

1 - beginning of July chasing down a large spring, jumped into a section of river that looked shallow but turned out to be WAY deeper then thought and went in over my head  >:( Good thing it was summer and i was just in shorts and stuff. Still was cold until it got warmer.

2 - fighting a big steelhead and was trying to duck under an overhanging log, line snapped and i went in fully again. this time i got swept down river aways but was able to keep myself the way i wanted and got out in tailout area of a run. This was early February and i think it was about 2degrees outside. I was wearing breathables and even though i got water inside i didnt get what it could have been because i ALWAYS wear my wading belt. to be honest i was actually warmer with the waders on then i was when i decided to take them off for the drive home, and yes i still continued to fish for a couple hours being wet inside  ;) but thats cause im crazy

I used to wear neo's and hated them the entire time unless i was in my float tube. Alot of guys seem to think they dont need wading belts with neo's cause they fit so tightly which is a big no no you need a belt with any waders.

save yourself the trouble and just get breathables. you will be glad you did  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

refrigeration86

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:01 AM »

despite what others may think, I have fallen in love with my breathables. yes its cold out in the winter when ur in chest deep however i found with some long underwear and sweat pants I keep pretty warm. just be sure to wear thick socks.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »

despite what others may think, I have fallen in love with my breathables. yes its cold out in the winter when ur in chest deep however i found with some long underwear and sweat pants I keep pretty warm. just be sure to wear thick socks.

DONT WEAR SWEAT PANTS! hahaha...man....sweat pants are about the WORST thing you can wear if you want to stay warm.  Get yourself a pair of thicker fleece pants for over your long underwear and you WILL NOT get cold legs.  For your feet socks that wick water away are VERY important as a base sock because when you sweat it will keep you dry and when your feet stay dry, with wool socks over top, they will stay warm.  Sweat pants are the worst though, honestly!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »

I would look online at cabelas...ive heard good things about there waders and if anything goes wrong ship them back for a new pair.
I have had a lot of different waders and can tell you that simms are highly overrated. the only simms product i would buy is the boots and there jackets.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »

I have had a lot of different waders and can tell you that simms are highly overrated. the only simms product i would buy is the boots and there jackets.
I've been using the G4 pro waders and although I would definitely call them overpriced I would not call them overrated.  They are a very good wader. 

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 04:41:57 PM »

I've been using the G4 pro waders and although I would definitely call them overpriced I would not call them overrated.  They are a very good wader. 

i have tried the riversheds, G3, and freestones and all are not worth the money. I got better life out of blackwaters
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:32 PM »

I bought some at CanTire for 100 big ones. On sale every year. Woods make or something like that, I ain't going to check. Have the boots attached with felt sole so you don't even have to look for boots. Buy them 2 boot sizes larger and double up the fleece, your warm and set in most flows. If it's any colder the fish are frozen stiff. Not a socking foot type wader/ wading boot type even though I have them too. They feel uncomfortable.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Danube Boy

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »

I had Blackwaters for a year with a total of 3 leaks (all seam issues), luckly BARE fixed them all under warranty and in the end gave me a new pair of Blackwater II's. I looked at G4 Pro's, and the material looked a bit stiffer and perhaps tougher than G3's, but I still couldn't justify spending $600+ on a pair. My advice would be to get something that fits you well, is comfortable and has good warranty service.

If you can eventually end up with a backup pair, that would be ideal, as waiting for a 2 week warranty repair work during salmon or steelhead season can suck.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:38 AM »

I am on my 2nd pair of breathables from Cabelas. I buy the best ones they offer which are the guide ones. My first set lasted me almost 2 entire seasons before they starting leaking slightly in both feet which meant time for new ones. Thsi was the first time i got more then 1 season out of waders. needless to say i was very happy with that so i bought another pair, different because they are even better designed. I have owned several other waders including Bares and Simms and find them both not the quality i need. I still have a set of Simms as my backups now that they have been patched.

now when it comes to boots. i have owned several different pairs and none last more then a season with me because they start to get uncomfortable because of no padding in the bottoms of them. This year i got a good deal on Simms guide boots and 'Oh man!!' these things are sweet, its like having a limo on my feet  ;D so comfy and my feet actually stay warmer longer standing in the water.

Thanks for the tips on the sweat pants, i will grab a pair of fleece pants and see the difference and i keep meaning to buy a pair of those really thing under socks for under my woolies.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/