Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 7574 times)

steve B

Waders
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:52 AM »

Im looking to buy my first set of chest waders. If any one could give me some tips on what to look for ?. I fish year round Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall will i need boots too?.

andrew5

Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »

I boght my first pari recently and did a fair bit of research into this. given the details you provided, I am going to lean towards sugesting the neoprenes. Here's why:

1 - You said you fish all 4 seasons, just like me. Neoprene's will keep you warmer in the winter. The down side to them is that they will keep you warmer in summer as well. In the summer i am planning on just wearing a pair of board shorts and a synthetic t-shirt under mine.

2 - I have head that neoprenes are a bit more durable. This is good for us new guys, just becasue we lack experience wearing them.

3 - they are (usually) a bit cheaper

4 - i'm sure most of the vets on tis board will agree that this last one is important... they offer better flotation in case you take a spill, you have more floatation in them (provided you have your belt on tight), and you are less prone to hypothermia in prolonged periods of exposure.

Breathables aer great, and when I can afford them, I will certainly be picking up a pair to wear on those hot summer days where I am not more than knee deep. They are also more comfortable.

Overall, I think the neoprenes are jsut more versatile for a first time buyer.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:05 PM »

I recently purchased a pair of breathables, fortunately I got a smoking deal on some simms waders that were on clearance.
However, you may want to look into some neoprenes for the warmth factor. I've been doing some wading in some cold water and freezing while doing so. I saw some Bare neoprene waders on sale at Berry's for $89.
Oh, and yes you will need wading boots. I'm going to suggest the Chota wading boot, comfortable and pretty good felt on the sole....only $70, not bad for a starter boot.

steve B

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

thanks for the tips i guess i will just buy both sets breatheables for summer and neo's for winter

CameronT120

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »

Go with the breatheables first and try them with fleece long underwear in winter.  I think you might find them warm enough.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »

I got a brand new pair of Remington cpx waders still in box never used, 275$  size ML
The Bigger The Better!

fish bonk

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »

Avoid Hodgeman wading boots I can never get more than two seasons out of a pair. I don't know why I keep buying them. ;D

steve B

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »

i will do that to save a bit of money,  breathables with thermals underneath I think that will work for me i pretty sure that hatch matchr's in maple ridge will help me find the right ones maybe pick a nice new little 5 wieght fly rod for the cutthroat in the stave at the moment. Thanks again for the tips good fishing to all

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »

one piece of advice is dont cheap out on the boots. Get something very light and durable. Patagonia gas a very nice boot. When boots get wet and snow stuck on them they can get very heavy if its of lower quality. just my 2 cents. your back will thank you for it. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »

I got a brand new pair of Remington cpx waders still in box never used, 275$  size ML

Are you sure you don't mean "Redington"?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:46 AM »

Get a GOOD pair of breathables and layer up for winter fishing.  The key is to not cheap out on waders.  A good pair of BARE or SIMMS will last longer and will be the only pair you need.  Trust me....you won't regret it! 
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »

Here is the honest and tested  advise. I own Seat-tux neos for years and use them only in worst inclement weather, maybe once or twice a year. I'm right now on my third breathables I just purchased few mnts ago.It is Dan Bailey's  set. I cant believe how well fit and generally great they are. Build in gravel guards, hand warmers, belt, waterproof pocket, etc. Great warranty and they are made in Montana, just over the border. I paid decent 200 clams for mine, and if you shop around you will find similar deal. As for the boots, try new Chota. They cost below 80.00 and are great to hike the river side as well.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:15:40 AM by Eagleye »

fullahead

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:39:28 AM »

Just bought my son the Cabela’s Bluestream Breathable Waders, and the Ultra light Wading Boots. I have a pair of Simms, after looking at the quality of the Bluestream I would buy pare for myself, and you can’t beat the price.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »

I previously owned a pair of Bluestreams and I had a problem with them wearing through at the seams possibly because they were too baggy and the legs rubbed together.  No worries though because if you have any problems with your Bluestreams Cabelas will take care of you.  I ended up returning my Bluestreams and upgrading to the Cabelas G II waders.