Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my boat suitable for crossing the straight?  (Read 21775 times)

stevestonredneck

Is my boat suitable for crossing the straight?
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »

Hey, I have a 1993 20ft Wellcraft with a 4.3 volvo penta in it. Ive always wanted to cross the georgia straight but have always been a bit leery about it. In the past year Ive taken it out fishing at Sandheads 3 times. First time was real rough going down river from steveston with waves coming towards us, must have been because of an incoming tide.  once we got out past the lighthouse the water smoothed out. Before I was a bit scared of going out to sandheads because I thought the boat was a bit small for the mouth of the river. But since now Ive accomplished sandheads I want to go even farther and cross the straight of Georgia to Sidney on the island. I know the safest time for smaller boats at sandheads is a high tide and light winds, but what about the straight? is there any specific times where the water is less rough in the spring and summer? Also what pass do you reccomend and is easier to navigate in a smaller boat Porlier or Active? Im currently looking for a newer 21' seaswirl striper but for now the wellcraft is all I have and it would be great for me to hear your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

SNapz

Re: Is my boat suitable for crossing the straight?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »

Should be fine but of course make sure you listen to the weather forecast. If there it is going to blow it wouldn't be the best idea. My dad and Uncle used to run across in a 12' aluminum boat to fish Active Pass. I wouldn't suggest that but if the weather is nice you won't have any problem. If you find you get over there and the wind comes up you can always go in and anchor somewhere in the islands and wait it out. Might get stuck over night but better than taking a chance.

the carp

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »

Hey steveston summertime is the time to plan a trip across the strait, and I stress PLAN, best to do it with another boat and use the buddy system in case of problems. Check youre marine forecasts and tides, the sandheads is no place to be in the wrong conditions. Have GPS and a good chart. Either Active or Porlier Pass are good to enter the gulf islands, you could go through one going and the other returning. The Gulf islands are really nice and there are some good marinas and small settlements to check out on a weekend cruise. Good luck in youre endeaver, just remember safety first. I have been travelling our beautiful coast for 40 years and never tire of the scenic wonder we are privilege to in B.C. If I can help you further email me.

stevestonredneck

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

Thanks for the replies! , How long does it usually take you guys to enter one of the passes from the sandheads lighthouse? My cruise speed is around 30mph so im guessing it would probally take around 30 min.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:29:55 PM by stevestonredneck »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »

I was thinking about buying a boat on VanIsle a few years ago and planned to run it across back to the mainland.

It was mentioned that the morning would be the best time to do the run as the wind tends to pick up in the afternoon.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:43:05 PM »

i crossed from w.vancouer to thrasher rk.  in my 18ft fiberform lots of times with only a compass . remember south east winds bring rain and poor visability.north westers mostly sunny. over 15 knots stay home. morning best for light winds but listen to the marine forcast.

stevestonredneck

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »

What is the best times to go through the passes? (the least turbulant)

tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »

Made that trip many times with my Dad as a kid. We had a 22ft boat. Make sure you check your tides and the weather. We had some nasty experiences at Sandheads. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »

slack tide would be best for going through any pass.
I used to go over there all the time in a 16 ft lund with 25 hp.
Would i do that now.I doubt it.
I had a radio and such but it can also blow up once your across and there is nothing you can do but wait it out.
Spent a couple nights camped out over there but was good timing because i had planned on 1 night so had the sleeping bag and stove etc.
Havent been over there for years and really miss it.
Is a different world in 30 minutes.

tim3500

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »

Your boat is more than capable I used to have a wellcraft V20 steplift with a 225 opti and did that cruise in some pretty bad conditions (smallcraft Warrning) and had no problems I did banfield from Steveston  6 times and Campbell river 8 times just get good navigation equipment ( GPS with Maping ) and pic & choose your days leaving the river leave on a outgoing tide due to big rollers on a incoming tide once i took water right over the boat seen blue some will now what that means  just be carefull and dont do anything you dont feel comfortable with  Enjoy and be safe

speycaster

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »

Use to cross the strait all the time to fish the passes and thrasher rock, 12 foot Zodiac and a 25 hp Johnston. Ran around the west coast with it too. Lots of fun when you are young. ;D

stevestonredneck

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »

This wellcraft doesnt have a deep V hull like most wellcraft boats. The model I have is an "Excel" its more of a lake boat.  When I go out into the river I put on the snap on bow cover and inflate a towable tube and put it under the cover just incase we get a big wave. It actually works well. 2 years ago we were out in the river with our old 16ft bayliner and a tug not towing anything went by us. The wave went over the bow and all I saw was a wall of green when it came over the windshield. The cover diddent even collapse. This is the same boat as this but mine is the bow rider version.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »

easy to travel across the straight in a boat like that. Use to do it all the time in the 80's and 90's. Started out in a 12' Achilles inflatable with a 20hp. Moved up to a 12' smokercraft with the same 20hp. Next was a 14' Lund with a 25hp that we would run to Thrasher Rock from Tsawwassen with. It was followed by a 16' K&C Thermoglass. Last boat was a 18' Hydrasport. Made it across safely over many trips with all 4 boats. In the inflatable we woudl leave Tsawwassen  1/2hr before light and make it to Active pass before most guys even left the launch. It was a lot of fun fishing salmon over there in the summer months.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »

I run thunderjet 21' across.  Average speed 25knots.  Time to Polier is about 40min. 

stevestonredneck

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »

I run thunderjet 21' across.  Average speed 25knots.  Time to Polier is about 40min. 

40 min from steveston or the sandheads lighthouse?