Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in Washington  (Read 6192 times)

YESFISH

Re: Fishing in Washington
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:46 AM »

At least vehicles are safer in WA than on the Veddar.  It only takes one person but I've lost $3000 in Vehicle damage and I pay high home insurance and property taxes in Canada, I just have the wrong plate. I have hoped DFO would go through and penalize snaggers by taking gear and then ticketing them. That would be so easy. I'd start at the limit hole and take everything each of them had. I was on the North side of the river and several barely missed me with their gear. Very rude but I never cut any lines which I had to unhook when they overthrew my line. Since I was alone, I guess they felt I had no rights.  We know it happens in WA too.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »

BEntrod, does Washington aggressive enhance the river's your talking about, or are they a mix of wild and hatch steelies?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:22:49 AM »

They're typically a good mix of wild and hatchery.  Like most areas throughout the US, this topic is highly controversial though.  The hatcheries in Washington are primarily used for supplementing fisheries with hatchery fish; which, according to some works against the survival of the native gene pool.  You then get 2 groups; those opposed to hatchery propagation and those in favor of.  In Eastern Washington, native steelhead are federally protected.  However, the number of returning hatchery fish are so great that it is typically deemed ok to fish for steelhead because the risk of incidental take to the native fish is reduced.  The fisheries also wants to remove excess hatchery fish from the system so they don't water down the native gene pool. 

I'm really tired of this discussion and prefer to be more simplistic in my approach.  If I can fish, it's a good thing. 

Tally Ho

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 10:43:27 PM »

Moses Lake in Washington.....for bass that is.

lapa

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »

can somebody recommend good place and guides for steelhead fishing(end of january).

thanks,
  lapa

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »

BEntrod, does Washington aggressive enhance the river's your talking about, or are they a mix of wild and hatch steelies?

must rivers that have hatcherys are funded by the native tribes that fish them its law in washington state, however there are a few government funded hatchary like the sol duc river. the hatcherys are typically small example the sol duc is large hatchary for washington state it similar to the size to the chehalis.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »

"must rivers that have hatcherys are funded by the native tribes that fish them its law in washington state, however there are a few government funded hatchary like the sol duc river. the hatcherys are typically small example the sol duc is large hatchary for washington state it similar to the size to the chehalis".  Huh?  That's news to me.  I know several people that work at hatcheries and the hatcheries they work at are not funded by BIA.  The tribes do have their own hatcheries and have legal rights to a certain amount of fish.  They also have a number of projects at different watersheds.  Their interest is not, however, in genetic health of the species.  It is purely in numbers of fish.  More fish = more money 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »

BTW, cold and windy yesterday.  Managed to hook and loose 4 steelhead on the Methow River.  Really slowed down as of recent.   Things are really in flux now though.  Looking for it to pick up soon.