Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where did your fishing addiction came from?

Father
- 13 (41.9%)
Grandfather
- 4 (12.9%)
Friend
- 4 (12.9%)
Other
- 10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Where did your fishing addiction came from?  (Read 5351 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Where did your fishing addiction came from?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 10:09:10 AM »

self taught also, when i was a kid in michigan we went up to northern mi. for vacations, place had a small aluminum fishing boat and when i was old enough i would go out all day, caught my first real fish, large mouth bass, trolling a repala...then at San Diego, i would fish the kelp beds,(without much luck) in my boss's boats or just flip spoons on the inland side for sea bass etc. When i moved up here i would fish with my father in law on his boat up at Pender harbor, but haven't done that in 14 years...been busy golfing and now coaching golf...finally just got burnt out and hooked up with a good bud who has taught me the river fishing side of it...

Now i'm starting to learn fly fishing, i'm 47 and it's tough to be a virgin at something at this age...very humbling to go from a sport that you dominate 99% of the people in to something where i'm not sure if i even really know what the hell a tippet is? right now i'm just practice casting at the matts at the driving range....but i'm like a kid...i can't wait to get on the water every chance i get....

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 10:52:40 PM »

watching Red Fisher on TV.
i've always been fascinated with seeing fish in ponds and ditches, i guess it progressed from there.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 11:12:10 PM »

My fishing addiction started when I was four, on a small stream beside our house in Nova Scotia, with a tiny little rod my dad bought me!!!!! ;D ;D  On the first day I had it, with my dad by my side, I hooked and with a little help from my dad, I managed to land a little brook trout!!!!!!  I thought that was the grooviest thing ever!!!!!  From there I was hooked!!!!  Started watching shows like Red Fisher as well, and then when I was 12, I hooked and landed 4 big rainbow trout from a small lake in Riding Mountain National Park!!!!! Then later that fall I met Bob Izumi, he was awesome, got to go fishing with him and everything in Duck Mountain in manitoba.  He was the only person to catch a fish out of Gull Lake all day. :o :o  Thought me a lot of tricks that day as well, some of which I still use today!!!!  So that was my start.  Wonder what I'd be doing if I never got that little zebco fishing pole!!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!