Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mexico's Urique River  (Read 6682 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Mexico's Urique River
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:02:07 PM »

I believe I've made this offer here twice before.  So far no takers. :)

I'll be going to our place in the Copper Canyon (Mexico) in a few days, and expect to be there (except for a few days from time to time) until late April 2006.  Any FWD members who want to give the Rio Urique (http://home.comcast.net/~ramsay52/images/divisaderoview.jpg) a try can stay at our place for free for a week.  Bring your own sleeping bag.  If you want more information about the place, there is a link in my bio or profile where you could start.

If you like the place, we will be looking for someone to sit it from about Easter until early July.  (While I'm fishing in BC.) ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Mexico's Urique River
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:04:10 PM »

what an offer!  Very generous of you :)

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:17:36 AM »

doesn't amount to much if no one take me up on it

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:08:06 PM »

Keith, yer killing me.  I'd love to do this, but things like work keep getting in the way. 

If people have time and money - DO IT.... this won't be the resort Mexico that everyone knows, this will be the REAL people.  The ones that aren't trying to rip you off every time you turn around.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »

I'll send this through one more time just to rub it in, DragonSpeed and all the rest of you lesser mortals, before  I fade away into the canyons until next May, when I'll be headed your way for some bass fishing.

I hope the fishing is good in the meantime.  And I don't think of you as lesser mortals; if you have to be in one place year round, BC is real hard to beat looks to me like, rain and all.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »

OK, lemme sweeten the offer.  I'm in Albuquerque, NM for a few days--that's why I'm back on line--and probably won't be back in Urique for about 10 days.

No one has taken me up on my offer, but if any FWR memeber decides to, I'll organize a fishing trip to my favorite spot downriver.  And I'll show you how to use the local "spinning outfit."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »

Hi Keith, good offer, but I think I've had enough travelling for awhile. :)

When are you back in BC, and any plans?

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »

Hi Rodney,
Back in BC?  We've reserved that cabin at Lakeside Gardens for the month of May. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »

The entire May at Lakeside Gardens. :o In that case I think we need to plan a group trip there in May too. :)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 03:27:24 PM »

Keithr, that is an awesome offer.  I wish I am retired. Perhap Chris or some of the Chilliwack retirees gang can take up the offer.  ;D

Can you describe the fishing in Urique River, like what kind of fish, and is it hot or slow fishing in general?

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »

hi funfish,
Well, the scenery is spectacular, even if the fishing often isn't.  We have catfish in the river, and some suckers, squawfish (southern pike minnow), carp, tlapia, and a few bass are showing up.  Where I spend most of my time in Urique, the river gets worked pretty hard, so I hike downriver a couple of hours beyond the end of the road to a place where the fishing is usually pretty good for carp and catfish, and there are a few bass down there.

A few local friends and I sometimes go there with the intention of harvesting fish (this is all legal, by the way).  One of the guys has a homemade spear pistol, another has a net, and we all have local spinning outifits.  We work the net for carp and catfish, and the guy with the spear pistol works around the edges for fish that avoided the net.  The fish get cleaned and salted.  We camp by the river at night and fish for catfish.  In between times I get out my backpaking flyrod and catch tlapia and squawfish.

It's a nice time.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »

Yer killin' me Keith.  Especially with the subzero temperatures here in Beijing right now!

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 04:46:32 PM »

Any fishing in China, DS?

On some programs about China I noticed them serving carp.  Have you tried such a thing there?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »

any ideas what travelling costs would be for the trip down there, from vancouver???? where is the closest destination airport in mexico from where the spot is? While it's a long shot...... i might be able to adjust my schedule hehe
and... is there much in the way of local flyfishing? that's kinda of a clincher too
i was gonna book a 10 day flyfishing trip for me and the gal this spring on the south west coast of mexico ..... we might be into extending our plans though.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 10:45:51 PM by allwaysfishin »

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »

OK, alwaysfishin:  Your closest and probably cheapest flight would be Los Mochis, Sinaloa; although Chihuahua, Chih. is another possiblity.  I don't know what a flight from Vancouver to one of those places costs, but Expedia.com, or like that, will figure it out real quick.  From Los Mochis you take the train (it's a famous ride) to Bahuichivo.  There are two classes of train, and I haven't been on either of them for a while.  You could get the fare information by doing a search for Chepe (let's just see if I can put the link in here):  http://www.surf-mexico.com/states/Chihuahua/chepe.htm.  From there you take the route bus to Urique.  Current cost is 100 pesos (about 12 Canadian dollars) each.  It's better than a disney ride.

Fly fishing:  the squaw fish will hit a fly, and I know from watching the tlapia in our pool that they will also feed on the surface, and there are some bass . . . Years ago I got tired of just catching squaw fish, and I pretty much gave up flyfishing on the Urique.  Took my Fenwick back to Oregon.  But that was before the tlapia and bass started showing up.  So this last trip back I brought a bunch of fly fishing tackle with me.  I'm planning on using it before the end of the month.  It's beautiful water.  There is lots of bank.

I'm being called to breakfast.  Let me know if you have more questions.