Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: differences between spinning and centerpin rods  (Read 14099 times)

Suther

Re: differences between spinning and centerpin rods
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

The taller guides used on spinning rods stop the line from slapping the blank when casting since the line spins off the spool thru the guides requiring a greater distance from the blank vs a conventional reel that the line comes off at a fixed point.

You may only have to change out the first few gathering guides and the others may be high enough but until you try no way to tell.
First look I counted 8 and you stated the rod was a 10' so that seemed pretty sparse for spacing, until you do a static load and space them out you wont know if the 9 you have is enough, likely it will work.
Pretty sure any guides you buy today wont look anything like the existing ones, but that may not be an issue to you.

Until you know what blank you have there is no way anyone can tell you from the pic you posted how that rod will compare to another, it could be a slow 2 power or a fast 5 power.

Float rods can have a slow action if they are being used with a C/P or a fast action with levelwind really no firm rules and specific waters sometimes require unusual combinations.

Fly rods are made with powerful fast tip sections to hurl the weight of a flyline, however a 4wt rod is a pretty light rod so for his application it may work great.

For bar fishing, it will be tough to cast with a mooching reel but I have done it.
You can carefully strip out a bunch of line having it spread out on the beach and lob it out, not pretty but it works in a pinch as you usually dont need to cast far.
You wouldnt need to change anything on the rod that way
I figured the line would hit the blank right now...that's why I figured I need to replace at least 1 or 2 guides.

How do I do a static load test to determine spacing?

I don't really care about my guides not matching. I would eventually replace them all if I like how the rod feels.

Why do c/p's use such soft rods?

I could strip a bunch of line off a spinning reel and accomplish the same result as you suggest with a mooching reel, so I don't think I will be searching for a cheap one.

Nitroholic

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »

just buy a new rod... not worth all the time and effort you're putting into that old thing

Suther

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:53 PM »

Played around with it for a few minutes today, tossed a 1/4oz croc at the park a few times to see how far she casts. Is similar to the 6' spinning rod I've been using, and thats with mediocre casts in fading light. Im sure with a good cast it'll cast farther than the 6' rod ever did.

I noticed the bottom guide has a big gouge in it. Its the thickness of fishing line, so I can only imagine its from years of wear. The 10lb test on the reel I was using was getting chewed up pretty bad by it... SO that guide needs replacing before this rod ever sees real use.

Im interested in rod building, so screwing around with fixing this one up will be good practice. Then I can look at building my own custom 4wt like Rods got... Guides are dirt cheap online, I can get the two I need for like $6 or less, a whole new set for just over $20... Can you get supplies anywhere near this cheap in-store somewhere? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and pay for shipping too?

Buying a new rod that is this long and this soft for any sort of reasonable price is not going to happen. I'll just have to screw around with what I've got and see how it goes long term.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

Better yet, buy an entry level centre pin. You will never drift fish with a spinning reel again

Sr SQ

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »

Played around with it for a few minutes today, tossed a 1/4oz croc at the park a few times to see how far she casts. Is similar to the 6' spinning rod I've been using, and thats with mediocre casts in fading light. Im sure with a good cast it'll cast farther than the 6' rod ever did.

I noticed the bottom guide has a big gouge in it. Its the thickness of fishing line, so I can only imagine its from years of wear. The 10lb test on the reel I was using was getting chewed up pretty bad by it... SO that guide needs replacing before this rod ever sees real use.

Im interested in rod building, so screwing around with fixing this one up will be good practice. Then I can look at building my own custom 4wt like Rods got... Guides are dirt cheap online, I can get the two I need for like $6 or less, a whole new set for just over $20... Can you get supplies anywhere near this cheap in-store somewhere? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and pay for shipping too?

Buying a new rod that is this long and this soft for any sort of reasonable price is not going to happen. I'll just have to screw around with what I've got and see how it goes long term.

Working on this old rod is a great way to practice, just understand what you need before you start and dont spend more than the rods worth.

You need the guides (IMO a complete set) thread and rod finish plus a way to turn the rod until the finish dries.

Contact Mark out at Valley rods if your in the valley area and he will hook you up with all the parts, he's very reasonable and knowledgeable.