Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Garcia c3 what to spool it with never owned one  (Read 4692 times)

newb33

New Garcia c3 what to spool it with never owned one
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »

Like the title says newer fisherman I am and got a Abu Garcia c3 what line is good to spool it
Going to fish the vedder river
Thanks

milo

• Old Timer
Re: New Garcia c3 what to spool it with never owned one
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

A 5K or a 6K?

If the former, I'd go with 15# Maxima. You don't need anything heavier than that if you fish ethically and don't snag fish.
In my humble opinion, only beeks load their baitcasters with braid to fish the Vedder.

If it is a 6K reel, I'd put 50 yards of 25# backing, and again fill up the spool with 15 pound test. (It'll take 250 yards of 15# test without backing).

Anything more than 15# test mainline on the Vedder is a bit too much. You may go up to 20# test if you are targeting springs and chum, but for coho it is definitely overkill.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:48:54 PM by milo »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »

Braid is highly visible and it floats making it easier to mend. It also gives me a lot more capacity on my low profile levelwind.
I use braid exclusively (including the Vedder) and prefer to think of myself as "not a beek", thank you.  ;D
I agree that 15# test is sufficient.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:05:38 PM by typhoon »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »

Braid is highly visible and it floats making it easier to mend. It also gives me a lot more capacity on my low profile levelwind.
I use braid exclusively (including the Vedder) and prefer to think of myself as "not a beek", thank you.
I agree that 15# test is sufficient.

Hey Typhoon, you are right!
I guess that my previous statement accidentally included people like you, who fish low profile baitcasters with 15-20# test braid. My apologies.

Braid definitely has its place and applications (I sometimes use it with my spinning rod to toss blades), but a C3 reel to use on the Vedder is NOT one of them.
I was thinking of those dudes that put 60-100# braid on round baitcasters and generally fish without a float, usually with very long leaders. When I ask them why they fish braid, they usually respond " you feel the bite better". ::)

jazzhead

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »

If it is a 6K reel, I'd put 50 yards of 25# backing, and again fill up the spool with 15 pound test. (It'll take around 200 yards).

What is the reasoning behind the 25# backing?

I have a 6500C3 with 15# mono.

Jeff_

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

I assume the thicker mono gives the braid something to grab to avoid slipping on the reel, it's also lighter on the wallet because braid is more costly than mono.

jazzhead

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »

I assume the thicker mono gives the braid something to grab to avoid slipping on the reel, it's also lighter on the wallet because braid is more costly than mono.

But I think Milo was talking about 15#mono on 25#mono though.  Maybe I am wrong.

losos

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »

If you read instruction it says that spool for the best performance needs to be filled with the line up to 3 or 4 mm of the  edge. Since he recommends to fill spool with 200 yards of #15 you have to make somehow for the difference hence #25 filler.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:40:55 PM by losos »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »

But I think Milo was talking about 15#mono on 25#mono though.  Maybe I am wrong.

You are correct.

The reasoning is to reduce the amount of 15# mono used. The 6K C3s have huge spool capacity.
It takes a motherload (250 yards) of 15# test to fill it up, but you basically never use the back half.

Putting a 'base' of thick 25# (even 30#) test mono reduces considerably spool capacity. To fish the Vedder, you really don't need any more than 100-120 yards of 'active' line, unless you foul hook a spring and want to follow it all the way to the Fraser.

There are other creative ways of reducing spool capacity, but I find that 50 yards of thick mono does the best job. The connection between the 'backing' and the mainline is easy and discrete - the venerable blood knot.

newb33

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »

Thanks I went with 10lb mono for the whole thing hopefully it's good

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

Thanks I went with 10lb mono for the whole thing hopefully it's good

No, it's not. It's too light for a reel that size. And too much line. Let me guess...350 yards? :o
Now you will need to fish a leader no stronger than 6-8# test.
Otherwise, your'll be snapping the main line all the time.

I wonder why you asked for advice and then disregarded it.  ::)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »

While I agree for the most part in what you say, I do have a 10lb mono set up myself for those days that I fish the canal and specifically target coho.  I don't use it often though.  I use it mostly roe fishing in very slow and clear water conditions.  I find the line does not drag in the river as much and I don't need to mend as often.  This is important when you are trying detect the subtle bites.  Kind of like chronimid fishing but with a bit of flow.

I primarily use 12lb mono for mainline.  Still fine for low water applications but I'm covered if I decide to head up river and fish faster water.  I don't specifically target springs so I rarely need anything over 12lb.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

While I agree for the most part in what you say, I do have a 10lb mono set up myself for those days that I fish the canal and specifically target coho.  I don't use it often though.  I use it mostly roe fishing in very slow and clear water conditions.  I find the line does not drag in the river as much and I don't need to mend as often.  This is important when you are trying detect the subtle bites.  Kind of like chronimid fishing but with a bit of flow.

I primarily use 12lb mono for mainline.  Still fine for low water applications but I'm covered if I decide to head up river and fish faster water.  I don't specifically target springs so I rarely need anything over 12lb.

Stratocaster, I totally get it. Of course 10# mono mainline can be the perfect choice on the Vedder in certain situations. But in that case you want a smaller round baitcaster to match those situations, such as the 4600 C3 or a Calcutta 200B. Or even better, a low profile one such as the Revo or Curado. But not a 6500C3 that will take up to 400 yards of 10# test mono to fill up.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:30 AM »

Stratocaster, I totally get it. Of course 10# mono mainline can be the perfect choice on the Vedder in certain situations. But in that case you want a smaller round baitcaster to match those situations, such as the 4600 C3 or a Calcutta 200B. Or even better, a low profile one such as the Revo or Curado. But not a 6500C3 that will take up to 400 yards of 10# test mono to fill up.

Yep your right, I have my set up on a Calcutta 200 GT TE.  I use a lamiglas dave vedder 8-12lb rod.  Great set up for the cap as well.

Fishawn

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »

Yep your right, I have my set up on a Calcutta 200 GT TE.  I use a lamiglas dave vedder 8-12lb rod.  Great set up for the cap as well.
I have the exact same setup.  It's sweet! Although mine is only a Calcutta 200B. Love that rod though.