Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night fishing  (Read 6833 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Night fishing
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 12:25:53 PM »

Hmmmmm...
New lure? Attack an LED light to a spoon and waterproof it?  ;D

Wouldn't even need to waterproof it as those LEDs run off low voltage (ie 1.5V) IIRC.

Mike D.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

I've sturgeon fished at night...have to find a place to tuck in close to shore to avoid drift nets and other objects floating down river at night...but it is extremely effective.

labmik

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »

Brad's lighted wigglers are deadly for steelhead and salmon.  My buddies and I have boated more than 80 steelhead this year while night fishing.  Make sure you check your local regulations regarding the legality of fishing at night.  We tape little glow sticks to the tips of our rods to make the takedowns easier to spot.  There's nothing like doing a float in the drift boat by the moonlight, cork popping in the rod holders, glow sticks violently dipping to the water, and fresh steelies shattering the ghostly quiet as they tailwalk from one side of the river to the other.......

Also, glow sticks attached just above a spoon or spinner work very well.  I've also tied up a few glow stick "flies" for swinging at night.

Here's the results of a few "Friday Night Fights!":

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »

Accordinglto my flyfishing ghillie, night fishing on interior lakes can be productive on clear mooonlit nights using leechy patterns. We've tried it a few times with some success however the hardest part is leaving the warmth of your cabin and climbing back into your tube on a chilly night.

On another note, back in my younger years when I shorefished in Ontario for walleye with Mr. Twister jigs, I wouldn't start fishing until after sunset. Very productive and fun fishery.  In my mind's eye, I can see the gleaming of the marble eyes in the lights as the fish is slid into shore.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:00:11 PM by clarki »

penn

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »

Page 9 of the Freshwater Regulations regarding using lights -  "It is unlawful to:  Use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook." Also illegal to fish the Chilliwack/Vedder after dark for salmon for part of the year.  http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm
Just what I was thinking when reading through this stuff . And I thought it was not just the Chilliwack that night fishing is banned on either .