Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carbon Tax Increase Come July 1  (Read 4620 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Carbon Tax Increase Come July 1
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »

If the money generated by the carbon tax went into r&d of alternative energy sources I'd feel a little better about it. 

It gives me little faith in our current gov't....it is an insult to all of our intelligence when they try to pawn it off as a program to curb greenhouse gas emissions when all it is is a cash grab.  Bunch of snakes.

nosey

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »

Well I told 2 friends and they told 2 friends and so on and so on, and we still didn't change government last week, so I guess we'll just have to watch while Gordon welcomes the world for the Olympics, something about that image make me a tad ill. I don't understand the people of BC willing to give our province away for short term gains but I guess that is democracy and we just have to hope there is enough of BC left for our grandchildren after the next four years. The carbon tax is just another example of the Liberals giving the impression that they are doing something while getting nothing done.

canuckjgc

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »

Just a tad melodramatic.  Our grandchildren will have as much BC left as they can handle.  Have a look at a map -- BC is a really big place. It would take several lifetimes to fish and explore all the great places in BC. 

Well I told 2 friends and they told 2 friends and so on and so on, and we still didn't change government last week, so I guess we'll just have to watch while Gordon welcomes the world for the Olympics, something about that image make me a tad ill. I don't understand the people of BC willing to give our province away for short term gains but I guess that is democracy and we just have to hope there is enough of BC left for our grandchildren after the next four years. The carbon tax is just another example of the Liberals giving the impression that they are doing something while getting nothing done.

bcguy

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »

It really is frustrating to the rest of BC, (anywhere outside the Valley) Wouldn't want to start seeing my heating bill in Prince George,
or the commuting cost of Cache Creek to Kamloops during the next jump in tax . Yes, this may be the start of the answer to stop our behaviors (is it really necessary to drive a 1-ton dodge dually?) that has caused some climate change, but truly, will everyone be hit equally? Will businesses pay just like consumers, will corporations pay the extra, or once again will it be just the average Joe blow taxpayer left with the bill, while the Multi nationals dodge into some shelter, and laugh. Think this wont happen, how many on this board managed to make it in to the 2nd tier billing for Hydro, as a result of the "green initiative" to make those who use more, pay more? Well after a little investigating and a few emails to Hydro, did you know its only the homeowners who pay more, business are not included in the 2nd tier billing, so if you run a large fabrication shop, with multitudes of welders, and other equipment, you are not included under this "green initiative", the reason from Hydro?? Its more efficient for them to deliver a large amount of electricity to high volume users , than to the average homeowner, so on one hand you have them telling you"its about conservation, and getting you to use less...and out of the other side of the mouth, its not about usage, but rather the efficiency of delivery.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:39:08 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »

I have yet to figure out what good this tax will do to curb emissions, maybe this column gives the answer. :-\

Campbell's carbon tax may go way of dodo

U.S. likely to go for cap-and-trade, just as NDP proposed

By Michael Smyth, The ProvinceMay 21

Province provincial affairs columnist
The front page of last Sunday's New York Times contained a story sure to annoy anyone who thinks Gordon Campbell's carbon tax is a bold stroke of environmental genius.

The article looked at President Barack Obama's policy approach to global warming and how his administration plans to curb the emission of greenhouse gases that cause it. (Here's a hint: It's not with a carbon tax.) Obama favours the "cap-and-trade" model, where the government places a ceiling on emissions and allows polluting industries to buy and sell permits to meet it.

"Cap-and-trade has been embraced by President Obama, Democratic leaders in Congress, mainstream environmental groups and a growing number of business interests, including energy-consuming industries like autos, steel and aluminum," the Times reported.

And while cap-and-trade rules the White House, the Obama administration has effectively ruled out a carbon tax for the U. S., the article said.

Why? Politics, mainly. When then- president Bill Clinton proposed a national energy tax back in the 1990s, the idea went down in flames and the Democrats lost control of Congress. Cap-and-trade, by contrast, is more politically salable. It has a proven U.S. track record, too, helping stop the environmental scourge of acid rain.

So where does all this leave little old British Columbia and Campbell's precious carbon tax? Out in the cold. The carbon tax is now effectively dead, south of the border. And if cap-and-trade becomes a reality in the U.S., Canada will surely follow suit, snuffing out any more carbon-tax brainstorms here as well.

In other words, British Columbia will be going it alone with a carbon tax, while the rest of North America takes a different path in the fight against global warming.

Is it any wonder Campbell now says he might strangle his own carbon-tax baby in the cradle? In one of the great under-reported stories of the B.C. election, Campbell revealed the carbon tax will be reviewed in 2012 and might be frozen in place at 7.24 cents per litre of gas and not rise any further.

"A lot of environmentalists want it to keep going up," Campbell told me on the campaign trail. "I think you have to find a balance. It could go up or you could leave it as it is." But wait: Isn't the whole point of a carbon tax to keep jacking it up every year until people stop burning those evil fossil fuels? Even Campbell's own climate-change adviser, economist Mark Jaccard, says the tax must rise to 24 cents a litre and higher over a decade and beyond to be effective.

But Campbell told me that may not be necessary, if cap-and-trade does the same job anyway. (Read more of the premier's comments at my blog, address listed below.) The irony here is that this is exactly what NDP Leader Carole James was arguing when she promised to scrap the carbon tax in favour of cap-and-trade. She was vilified for doing it while Campbell was hailed as some kind of visionary.

My prediction: As cap-and-trade becomes the standard for North America, Campbell's carbon tax will be frozen and forgotten, though it will have served its political purpose of softening his hard-edged image.

msmyth@theprovince.com