Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carbon Tax Increase Come July 1  (Read 4621 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Carbon Tax Increase Come July 1
« on: May 13, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

Now with the Liberal Government in power for another 4 years all that drive a vehicle or heat our homes by natural gas will be stuck with the carbon tax.

Could someone please tell me why this will definitely help control greenhouse gas emissions. Is it supposed to make us drive less because it makes gas more expensive?

Please excuse me if I have missed an easy explanation.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Carbon Tax Increase Come July 1
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

just palin stupid. >:(     tax-tax-tax.......we even are taxed on our tax.

Its all about his "GREEN" projects..........like inshore oil drilling , killing our rivers, and putting powerlines in our parks............

kinda funny he's promoting such projects that are the largest producers of carbon emissions.

why would people vote for a convicted drunk ?????

ion

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »

well, they make you feel guilty, then get at your money;

yakideath12

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »

meaningless project I guess ??? this is polite way of "show me the money"

janders

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »

From how i understand it. It is supposed to make people "emit more evil CARBONS CO2" pay more to live their day to day lives but because of supposed income tax credits people who dont pollute more dont pay more at the end of the year.

But those brainless beuracrats dont even bother to admit that ever cent you increase the price of useing fossil fuels ALL of your expenses increase not just what you pay at the pump. Everything from food to mail to companys having to cut jobs to decrease labour cost in the face of rising costs of energy.

They think they are noble but all they are doing are throwing BUZZ words around like carbon and coming off as eco concious people when they are just as brainless as they were yesterday.

Thats all im going to say because topics like this always turn into huge political debats.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »

It's call a "stealth tax" and it's been going on in the UK for years.  If I remember correctly, we had about 68 stealth taxes 3 years ago.

Johnny_5

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

Now with the Liberal Government in power for another 4 years all that drive a vehicle or heat our homes by natural gas will be stuck with the carbon tax.

Could someone please tell me why this will definitely help control greenhouse gas emissions. Is it supposed to make us drive less because it makes gas more expensive?

Please excuse me if I have missed an easy explanation.

Yes, it is supposed to make you drive less due to the cost.  They want to make other options more cost attractive, like purchasing a more fuel efficient vehicle, or taking transit, or carpooling, etc.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »

We does a pack of smokes cost $6 for what ever it is...because there is a huge cost to our society from associated issues like lung cancer, emphasema, loss of productivity, etc, etc...I guess taxing the s**t outta a pack of smokes is a dumb idea too?!?  exact same principle. 

When I pick up my kids from school I see these people picking up a single kid in the honking big SUVs...usually the bigger the vehicle, the smaller the mum picking up her kids!  There's one mum that can barely see over the dash of her Suburban!  Anyhow, if these carbon taxes perswade one less person to buy another gas guzzling vehicle they can justify owning then I think its a good thing...sorry if it makes filling your boat up a little more expensive.

Nymph

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

I am not a fan of the carbon tax increase. It wont change how I use my vehicles or heat my house. I use my car when my wife doesn't need it (I have a F150), and keep the heat down low (even though my wife doesn't like it). 

I live in the Fraser Valley where transit is a joke- yet I pay HUGE taxes to Translink. And getting closer to my work would mean getting further from my wifes work- and vice versa. HECK soon the Albion Ferry (free) is going to close and I am going to have the privilege of paying a TOLL to drive the most direct route to work= how does that make sense?

Has anyone looked into a hybrid or whatnot? It's FAR more expensive than the gas guzzlers. And guess what! I don't have the money to spend more on the front end to try and avoid yet another tax.

Give me a real incentive to change- and I will. TAX BAH HUMBUG!
Git-R-Done

Johnny_5

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »

I am not a fan of the carbon tax increase. It wont change how I use my vehicles or heat my house. I use my car when my wife doesn't need it (I have a F150), and keep the heat down low (even though my wife doesn't like it). 

I live in the Fraser Valley where transit is a joke- yet I pay HUGE taxes to Translink. And getting closer to my work would mean getting further from my wifes work- and vice versa. HECK soon the Albion Ferry (free) is going to close and I am going to have the privilege of paying a TOLL to drive the most direct route to work= how does that make sense?

Has anyone looked into a hybrid or whatnot? It's FAR more expensive than the gas guzzlers. And guess what! I don't have the money to spend more on the front end to try and avoid yet another tax.

Give me a real incentive to change- and I will. TAX BAH HUMBUG!

What incentive to change do you propose?

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »

Thats nothing, wait until you start seeing the effects of privatizing our Hydro...wow, sure am glad the Liberals got in for another 4 years, just good sound fiscal management...oh wait, no I meant thanks for selling us out to American corporations!!!
Thanks to all who voted in the Liberals again, do you mind if I send you my cost of living increases....ok, ok, how about just my energy increases...
Oh well, I guess its either have my dollars high jacked by buisiness or unions...decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:47:36 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

fishyfish711

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »

What incentive to change do you propose?

I propose the money spent on building the transit system from the airport to downtown, that probably will be used by less than one percent of the people on this forum who are all paying for it, be better spent on the Port Mann bridge that at least 50% of this forum would probably use. I also propose  funds be spent on the development of vehicles that do not rely on gas to run. Also these vehicles be priced so many more can afford and use the superior technology.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

I don't understand why everyday people that drive have to pay but gas and oil companies are exempt from paying the tax

penn

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 07:53:03 AM »

This was the reason I could no longer consider voting Liberal . It is rubbish , it was only done because it was the political flavour of the moment . It won't change people's driving habits , because most have NO alternative to what they do now. Only the greater Vancouver area has adequate transit, what are the rest supposed to do, quit their jobs so they won't have to drive anymore?
Besides our alleged experts don't even know what carbon even does does , does it cause global warming ? Or global cooling ? They don't talk about global warming much anymore , instead the term has now become " Climate Change" because they don't know what's going on anymore and this way they cover all their bases just in case the "climate Change " turns to cooling instead.

nosey

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »

I know the carbon tax is suposed to make you drive less, but what about the people up north where they've got only 2 or 3 frost free months this carbon tax covers heating oil too, are they supposed to live in colder houses because of the tax, or just live less comfortably?