Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A history lesson  (Read 8207 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
A history lesson
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:45:16 PM »

Alright boys and girls. It's time for a history lesson. It's a lesson on what was happening in the world the last time the Make Me Laughs last won the Stanley Cup. Can you say 1967 ? I knew you could.

On the home front:

- Lester Bowles Pearson was the Prime Minister

- Canada was celebrating it's 100th birthday

- Expo 67 was held in Montreal

Internationally:

- A new camaro bought in the US would cost you $2,500

- The Green Bay Packers won the inaugural Super Bowl beating Kansas City Chiefs

- Muhammad Ali was arrested for refusing to be inducted into the US Army. The World Boxing Association subsequently stripped him of his heavyweight title

- St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series defeating the Boston Red Sox 4 games to 3

- Christian Barnard performed the world's first heart transplant

- The top 3 songs for the year were: To Sir with Love (Lulu), Happy Together (Turtles) and Windy (Association)

- 40th Academy Awards:
Best actor: Rod Steiger in In the Heat of the Night
Best Actress: Katherine Hepburn in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Best Picture: In the Heat of the Night.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: A history lesson
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »

Interesting stuff!!  :D

I tried to do the same for the Cannots, but couldnt find when they last won the cup. Have they ever won the cup?  :P  :o

While I sadly chant "1967, 1967..." while my Leafs get beat up in Ottawa...what do the Cannot fans chant while the same happens in St Louis and to the CBJ? "What does it feel like to hold it?" perhaps? Maybe even, "What does it look like?"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »

Let's compare apples to apples 2:40 What are the records of the Make Beliefs and Canucks since expansion ? The Canucks played in two (2) Stanley Cups and losing to the Islanders and the Rangers. As Biffchan has noted on another thread, the Make Beliefs never made it past the 3rd round. Oh yeah, the only time Vancouver and Toronto met in the playoffs the former team won. I'm sure you don't want to be reminded of that  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:04:36 AM »

FA you are spending too much time on the computer doing research, get out fishing. ;D ;D ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 06:22:13 AM »

Let's compare apples to apples 2:40

yeah...like comparin' two teams from seperate conferences....way ta go FA...your logic only works for you..... ::)

mojo just observing
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:04:56 AM »

Let's compare apples to apples 2:40 What are the records of the Make Beliefs and Canucks since expansion ? The Canucks played in two (2) Stanley Cups and losing to the Islanders and the Rangers. As Biffchan has noted on another thread, the Make Beliefs never made it past the 3rd round. Oh yeah, the only time Vancouver and Toronto met in the playoffs the former team won. I'm sure you don't want to be reminded of that  ;D ;D

While probably a smattering of truth in the above... :P you guys cant avoid the fact that you still quite possibly need a "We've never won a Stanley Cup" chant...this is provided that it is the Cannots and their fans' goal...

It is isn't it?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If so, a Leaf fan can help with the chant, but make it quick as soon we wont have any idea about this problem once again.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »

Vanocouver has its name on Lord Stanley, back in 1915 the Vancouver Millionaires won it. So there  :P
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »

Not difficult to win the cup when there is only 6 teams  ;)

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:46:25 PM »

Not difficult to win the cup when there is only 6 teams  ;)

yes...but must be tuff knowin your team was once there....but you were'nt even born then....neither was anyone else.... :D :D :D :D

mojo jest passin' thru
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »

According to my calculation you were only 5 or 6 when the Laughs made it's last triumph return into Toronto. Do you recall anything about it ? ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »

According to my calculation you were only 5 or 6 when the Laughs made it's last triumph return into Toronto. Do you recall anything about it ? ;D

let me correct your guess.....I was 10 yrs old and you were a gleam in your father's eye...;)))

mojo