Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum on the Squamish/Man confluence.  (Read 7498 times)

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
Re: Chum on the Squamish/Man confluence.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 09:31:18 AM »

hi guys!

britt guy i think we know each other from earlier this year. i think we did a float down the seymour looking for winter runs. we drove up to the hatchery together and talk about fly fishing for pinks (off the beach). if this is indeed you i would really like to get together and chat/fish.

talk to you soon!
girls suck throw rocks at them!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 11:30:02 PM »

i had good success with using a moderate sink tip and changing up wool flies till you find one they like...I also did like rodney suggested and fish in behind the lineup out further....i also lift my rod a few times on the swing..for some reason they chum seem to love hitting um on the uptake..i love flyfishing for chum, damn near my favorite fly fishery...nothing like seeing a swirl down below your floating line and thinking, wonder what that was and then seeing your line take off and the hard pull of the fish....wait till you hear your sinktip ripping through the water on it's way out to the middle of the flow...hope you got a decent reel with a good drag system.. ;D as those are some fiesty fish and an absolute blast to fight on the fly...

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »

Well guys I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the help and advice on this and my previous thread.

I managed to get out to the Squamish/Mam confluence on Friday and got this one:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/fishseeker/FirstSalmon

It was the first Salmon I have ever caught and the culmination of much effort.   I am glad I got that 9wt to handle this because this fish was strong and it would almost certainly have broken my 6wt.

By the way, thanks for your advice on 'switching it up' Derek.  For the first few hours I was not having any success - it was a bit of a gong show on the Squamish river and I could see most other people were not doing too well either.  I watched those who were being successful moved about, tried different strategies and eventually ended up getting multiple hookups with only one caught. (All except this one broke off)

This one was not the Silver Chum I have heard so many people talk about but the fight was still very hard - a real adrenaline rush!  Also, thanks to bbronsky on that reel you recommended, the drag performed brilliantly - I am very happy with it.  I played around with different options and I did find that I could keep the drag low and palm it but I had to make bloody sure to keep my fingers out of the way - the speed of those runs were really something.

Xgolfman, I have just read your post and I wish I had looked at it more closely before I took off.  I observed much the same thing - all the hits I got were on the swing - I didn't try lifting my rod a few times but it's something I am going to remember next time (PS: Chartruese wool seemed to work best for me.)

PS:  Any ideas on how much this fish weighed?  Looking at the picture i would guess it was about 70cm long.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:32:14 PM by fishseeker »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

12lbs.

brood dude

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »

im going out there tomorrow. has anyone been out in the last couple of days?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 09:21:52 PM »

was out two days ago and had an alright day, got a nice wild coho to shore and hooked quite a few chum but my run of futility continued with me losing most of them.
always a student

brood dude

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »

thanks dereke

i will let you know how it goes tomorrow if your not going out.

i had a look at some of your pics and i tied up some prawn patterns black and pink.cant wait to get out there! ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

i wont be back out till around wednesday thursday. two graveyards left for me. let me know how it goes..
always a student

brood dude

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »

there were some people out today

not slot of fish.i got one on my 3rd cast and lost him then nothing.only saw about 6 fish to the beach all day.really slow.I'm working and wont be able to get out until next week if your around it would be nice to hook up with someone who really knows the area.let me know if your into it dereke?